Folks, I'm fishing for an answer to a PHP problem that I can't seem to
find anywhere. May have posted this once before so I'll apologize if
this is a dup. The problem is with PHP 5.1.4 and Oracle's 10g client or
instant client for that matter. When you call the OCILogon function you
always get an OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed error. I've toyed around with
every environment variable that there is & still can't keep this little
nightmare from popping up. OTS is of no help as "they don't support
PHP". Anybody got a suggestion/solution/"dumb idea" on how to fix
this???

Dick Goulet, Senior Oracle DBA

45 Bartlett St Marlborough, Ma 01752, USA
Tel.: 508.573.1978 |Fax: 508.229.2019 | Cell:508.742.5795

RGoulet_at_kanbay.com

: POWERING TRANSFORMATION

Search Discussions

  • Reidy, Ron at Feb 27, 2007 at 5:05 pm
    I have seen this with Perl before (gasp, shock, horror!).

    I googled and found this:
    http://www.issociate.de/board/post/296386/OCI8_/_Oracle_issues_with_php_
    5.x.html

    Maybe this can help.

    --

    Ron Reidy

    Lead DBA

    Array BioPharma, Inc.

    ________________________________

    Folks, I'm fishing for an answer to a PHP problem that I can't seem to
    find anywhere. May have posted this once before so I'll apologize if
    this is a dup. The problem is with PHP 5.1.4 and Oracle's 10g client or
    instant client for that matter. When you call the OCILogon function you
    always get an OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed error. I've toyed around with
    every environment variable that there is & still can't keep this little
    nightmare from popping up. OTS is of no help as "they don't support
    PHP". Anybody got a suggestion/solution/"dumb idea" on how to fix
    this???

    Dick Goulet, Senior Oracle DBA

    45 Bartlett St Marlborough, Ma 01752, USA
    Tel.: 508.573.1978 |Fax: 508.229.2019 | Cell:508.742.5795

    RGoulet_at_kanbay.com

    : POWERING TRANSFORMATION

    sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us by

  • Mladen Gogala at Feb 27, 2007 at 6:35 pm

    Richard J. Goulet wrote:
    Folks, I'm fishing for an answer to a PHP problem that I can't seem
    to find anywhere. May have posted this once before so I'll apologize
    if this is a dup. The problem is with PHP 5.1.4 and Oracle's 10g
    client or instant client for that matter. When you call the OCILogon
    function you always get an OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed error. I've toyed
    around with every environment variable that there is & still can't
    keep this little nightmare from popping up. OTS is of no help as
    "they don't support PHP". Anybody got a suggestion/solution/"dumb
    idea" on how to fix this???
    I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I've ran into this
    before. Oracle10R2 has strengthened
    protection of the home directory. After the patchset 1 (10.2.0.2) there
    is a script called changeperm.sh
    in $ORACLE_HOME/install that must be run to fix the problem.
    Essentially, it changes protection for $ORACLE_HOME, $ORACLE_HOME/lib,
    $ORACLE_HOME/network, $ORACLE_HOME/nls and $ORACLE_HOME/oracore to make
    the files world readable. One little "chmod -R 755" on those
    directories should do the trick.

    --
    Mladen Gogala
    Sr. Oracle DBA

  • Mladen Gogala at Feb 28, 2007 at 2:33 am

    I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I've ran into this
    before. Oracle10R2 has strengthened
    protection of the home directory. After the patchset 1 (10.2.0.2) there
    is a script called changeperm.sh
    in $ORACLE_HOME/install that must be run to fix the problem.
    Essentially, it changes protection for $ORACLE_HOME, $ORACLE_HOME/lib,
    $ORACLE_HOME/network, $ORACLE_HOME/nls and $ORACLE_HOME/oracore to make
    the files world readable. One little "chmod -R 755" on those
    directories should do the trick.
    Actually, do not change permissions recursively on $ORACLE_HOME, only on the other listed
    directories. The $ORACLE_HOME is created with 750 protection and without protection that allows
    others (Apache usually runs like "nobody" or "apache") processes owned users which are not
    member of the dba group cannot read it. It is, however, a bad idea to put those users into
    the dba group.

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedFeb 27, '07 at 3:40p