Our O/S team is looking to move our file system from current GPFS 2.3
to a file system
of Raw Devices. AIX 5.2 and Oracle 9206. We have disabled RAC and are
in the
process of relinking the libraries with RAC off, although once we
migrate to 10g, we
will enable RAC again. Is this O/S file system move doable and what
are some
of my concerns from the Oracle standpoint?
What should we be aware of? Do I have to export/import database or can
we move
files at O/S level? Are there any best practice papers for this? I
have not used Raw
Devices w/oracle...are there papers for running Oracle on Raw Devices?
I've found
no information on Metalink, but I have opened an SR.

Any thoughts, comments appreciated. Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Fuad Arshad at Feb 20, 2007 at 6:46 pm
    We did a similar move but the opposite direction using rman. it woked beautifully.
    i did do test my back out plan but moving the datafiles back to raw and it worked too.
    this was a non rac instance and i dont think that will matter
    just use the datafilecopy of rman
    and then alter database datafile to rename the datafiles in the database.

[...]

  • Alex Gorbachev at Feb 21, 2007 at 4:56 am
    With RMAN - you can simply backup your database and then
    restore+recover. two options:
    - before restore/recover do set new name to rename datafiles
    - move your datafiles somewhere or rename or unmount the FS (just in
    case don't delete them) and create links to raw devices in as they
    were with FS.

    controlfiles - restore from RMAN backup (or any other backup). Change
    your init.ora or replace old controlfile with links to raw devices. I
    wouldn't remove controlfiles - copy or move somewhere. like "RESTORE
    CONTROLFILE FROM;"

    redo logs - those are better change online create new groups and drop old ones.

    You might want to put spfile on raw device as well.

    Note that you can usually move all files using dd but Oracle (I think
    depending on the platform) skips the first block to avoid overwriting
    disk label on some OS's. I think it's mentioned on Metalink
    somewhere.

    Approach with RMAN will also serve as a good test of your backup
    strategy - don't take specific backup - use your existing one.
[...]

    Best regards,
    Alex Gorbachev

    http://www.oracloid.com

grouporacle-l @