Since onames is no longer supported in 10g, we are going to have to
upgrade from onames to Oracle internet directory. And I have no idea
how to do it. Right now we have a legacy Onames installation that
works, but I really know nothing about it. We have good doc on how to
add instances, but it is just a step by step set of documentation, it
doesn't explain anything. I have always used tnsnames in the past, and
the person who set up the onames installation is gone.

Has anyone gone through the process of upgrading from onames to oid, and
know what is involved, or seen a set of upgrade instructions? I opened
a service request with Oracle, but who knows how good their help will
be.

Andrew W. Kerber
Oracle DBA

"If at first you dont succeed, dont take up skydiving"

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system. Thank you.

Search Discussions

  • Charles Schultz at Jan 23, 2007 at 5:02 pm
    You are in for some fun. =)

    First thing, do you want 9i or 10g OID? 10g OID is a lot harder to setup
    because Oracle, in their infinite wisdom, bundled OAS with OID. The OUI is
    fairly decent (we started with 10gR1, which was ugly), and I do not recall
    any gotcha's offhand. You will then have to decide if you want a flat
    hierarchy or not - flat is much easier, but also less flexible. If you have
    a fairly simple setup, go with flat.

    You will not be upgrading, per se. You are installing a new product, and
    will migrate connect data after you initialize OID. As you start to get your
    hands dirty, you will realize there is a whole new language to OID - namely,
    LDAP. You will constantly be bombarded with terms like "cn=" and "dn=" -
    learn what they mean and how to use them, because when you implement your
    production OID, it really helps to have a good handle on the ramifications
    of your decisions. I personally got burned with that, since I had a very
    slight grasp at the time.

    The online documentation is very thorough and comprehensive, but does not
    lend itself well to those who are unfamiliar with LDAP (IMHO). There is a
    bit of a learning curve - I think I filed 4 or 5 SRs just to set it up.

    The good news is that once it is up and running, it tends to be easy to
    maintain and most of the default parameters out of the box we have found to
    be adequate.
[...]

    Charles Schultz

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJan 23, '07 at 4:50p
activeJan 23, '07 at 5:02p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Kerber, Andrew: 1 post Charles Schultz: 1 post