Any ideas would be appreciated.

Benjamin

Search Discussions

  • Job Miller at Nov 30, 2006 at 3:17 pm
    There are some eul workbooks that provide reports on the content of the Business Areas. These reports may serve your need to report on the contents of the BA/Folders/Items/Workbooks/relationships/etc..

    look for the eul admin workbooks. you have to install them separately.

    Job

    ----- Original Message ----
    From: Benjamin Sigursteinsson
    To: oracle-l@freelists.org
    Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:33:36 AM
    Subject: Discoverer ERD's

    Does anyone out there know of a tool that might be used to graph a Discovererer Business Area? This is sometimes the only documentation on foreign keys and relations between tables that exists in companies. It would be handy to extract that information using the BA's where they exist. And yes, I am aware of that a Business Area may not accurately reflect the structure of a database.

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Benjamin

    Cheap talk?
    http://voice.yahoo.com

  • Benjamin Sigursteinsson at Nov 30, 2006 at 9:06 pm
    Yes. I know of these. The point however, would be if something like
    Oracle Designer, Erwin, Embarcadero or similar companies could actually
    read the business areas and reverse engineer a picture of the
    relationships. I've been googling for this lately with no luck. I
    guess it simply does not exist and it sits in a grey area anyway with
    respect to foreign keys etc. My opinion of this is that this should be
    a feature of Discoverer, just as this is a feature of i.e. Business
    Objects. But thanks for the input.

    Benjamin

    Does anyone out there know of a tool that might be used to graph a
    Discovererer Business Area? This is sometimes the only documentation on
    foreign keys and relations between tables that exists in companies. It
    would be handy to extract that information using the BA's where they
    exist. And yes, I am aware of that a Business Area may not accurately
    reflect the structure of a database.

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Benjamin

    <http://pa.yahoo.com/*http:/us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=36035/*http:/music.yahoo
    .com/unlimited/>
  • Dennis Williams at Dec 1, 2006 at 5:28 pm
    Benjamin,

    I have seen some pretty impressive results from letting some of the popular
    tools you name reverse-engineer a schema. They even look for similar column
    names to find other possible relationships. I would give that a try with
    whatever tools you have handy. And try to demo the other tools. You are
    correct that something that could read and understand the underlying code
    would be even better. With the astounding progress these tools are making,
    that can't be far away.

    Dennis Williams

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle