Unbreakable?

http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/microsoftnovell-partner-ove
r-linux/

Kevin Closson
Chief Architect, Oracle Database Solutions
PolyServe, Inc
kevinc_at_polyserve.com
Blogging at http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/

Search Discussions

  • Jared Still at Nov 2, 2006 at 11:26 pm
    Not to sure what effect this might have on Oracle, if any.

    Thoughts Kevin?

    PS. If MS Office starts working on Linux, OpenOffice will be a goner.
    Blogging at *http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/*<http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/>

    --
    Jared Still

  • Kevin Closson at Nov 2, 2006 at 11:52 pm
    Not to sure what effect this might have on Oracle, if any.

    Thoughts Kevin?

    I don't know...ask this guy:
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/columns/datta_dotnet.html

    PS. If MS Office starts working on Linux, OpenOffice will be a goner.

    Bad copies of established software deserve to die. Oh, hold it, what
    does
    L inux stand for? Oh, I remember (L)inux (i)s (n)ot (u)ni(x)

    :-)
  • Sinardy Xing at Nov 4, 2006 at 6:44 am
    I think the reason Microsoft go to Linux is because, Oracle now selling so
    many application run on Linux, Microsoft jump into Linux because they afraid
    VISTA is a looser. If that happen all "On Windows" Microsoft software is
    gooner.
    Not to sure what effect this might have on Oracle, if any.

    Thoughts Kevin?

    I don't know...ask this guy:
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/columns/datta_dotnet.html

    PS. If MS Office starts working on Linux, OpenOffice will be a goner.

    Bad copies of established software deserve to die. Oh, hold it, what does
    L inux stand for? Oh, I remember (L)inux (i)s (n)ot (u)ni(x)

    :-)

    --
    regards,

    Sinardy

  • Kevin Closson at Nov 4, 2006 at 4:48 pm
    I think the reason Microsoft go to Linux is because, Oracle now
    selling so many application run on Linux, Microsoft jump into Linux
    because they afraid VISTA is a looser. If that happen all "On Windows"
    Microsoft software is gooner.

    ...I'm holding my breath for that one.
  • Bob at Nov 5, 2006 at 2:15 pm
    Humm... well personally I believe Microsoft s day as a leader in *new*
    technology are fading very fast indeed.

    MS is completely lost behind Google, they have absolutely no way to
    reclaim any of the enormous market exposure that google pulls in every
    day - no way. I know many of this group uses gmail (2-3)GB of search
    able email, what about the new star office doc & spreadsheet tool.. All
    that is maturing very fast and in time, in my opinion will keep MS
    limited on new technology, MS is not innovative!!

    Linux has always been a threat to MS that they hoped would go away.
    Linux started as monkey and now becoming a Gorilla
    How about CENTOS? -
    http://www.centos.org/
    http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/50
    Completely bases on RH sources....

    CENTOS (community enterprise operating system)
    is the most beautiful Linux distro I�ve seen and used, now OraLinux...
    MS *has* to pick up Linux....(as an "appliance" ) or what ever spin they
    put on it.

    Not that MS will succeed with Linux, but I think they have to touch it.

    Just my personal day to day observation.

    Bob

    Kevin Closson wrote:

    I think the reason Microsoft go to Linux is because, Oracle now
    selling so many application run on Linux, Microsoft jump into Linux
    because they afraid VISTA is a looser. If that happen all "On Windows"
    Microsoft software is gooner.

    ...I'm holding my breath for that one.

    "Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
    highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify
    some other error located close to where the real fault lies."

  • Alex Gorbachev at Nov 7, 2006 at 12:01 am
    Well, I tried several times to switch to Linux on desktop - no way.
    Switching to OpenOffice? Well, that's what I have at work now but I
    feel much better at home back to MS Office. And I don't even do fancy
    things with documents... more or less just typing.
    Actually, I like Mac more and more these days. :) I think on desktops
    that's more "dangerous" than Linux.

    Kevin Closson wrote:

    I think the reason Microsoft go to Linux is because, Oracle now
    selling so many application run on Linux, Microsoft jump into Linux
    because they afraid VISTA is a looser. If that happen all "On Windows"
    Microsoft software is gooner.
    --
    Best regards,
    Alex Gorbachev

    The Pythian Group
    Sr. Oracle DBA

    http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex/
    http://blog.oracloid.com
  • Kevin Closson at Nov 7, 2006 at 12:14 am
    Well, I tried several times to switch to Linux on desktop - no way.
    Switching to OpenOffice? Well, that's what I have at work
    now but I feel much better at home back to MS Office. And I
    don't even do fancy things with documents... more or less
    just typing.
    yep...

    http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2006/11/06/the-demise-of-msft-unbreaka
    ble-linux-20-linux-adoption/

    opinion, as usual
  • Alex Gorbachev at Nov 7, 2006 at 12:25 am
    Someone can make good DBs, another one - GUIs, and another - OS'es,
    networks, storage,... name it.
    but very few can stick it all together so that result is at least half
    as good as the best DB/OS/storage/network/...
    I don't believe that Oracle is one of them... I would be rather
    looking on this list for a good candidate.;-)
    Well, I tried several times to switch to Linux on desktop - no way.
    Switching to OpenOffice? Well, that's what I have at work
    now but I feel much better at home back to MS Office. And I
    don't even do fancy things with documents... more or less
    just typing.
    yep...

    http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2006/11/06/the-demise-of-msft-unbreaka
    ble-linux-20-linux-adoption/

    opinion, as usual

    Best regards,
    Alex Gorbachev

    The Pythian Group
    Sr. Oracle DBA

    http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex/
    http://blog.oracloid.com
  • Johan Eriksson at Nov 7, 2006 at 7:04 am