By Preparatory activity meant Running of "utlu102i.sql" from 10g
$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin after "SQL> STARTUP UPGRADE"

Thanks indeed

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
On Behalf Of VIVEK_SHARMA
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:32 AM
To: Mark Strickland; oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Upgrade 9.2 to 10.2 (NON-Rac) .... Basic Qs on "STARTUP
UPGRADE"

Mark, Folks

Qs. For doing some preparatory activities "Before" actual Upgrade can I
Temporarily startup my existing 9i Database using 10.2 ORACLE_HOME with
the
Command "SQL> STARTUP UPGRADE" & thereafter SAFELY revert back to
RE-starting the Database NORMALLY with 9i ORACLE_HOME followed by
regular day-to-day work?

YES or NO ?

NOTE - The UPGRADE keyword allows you to open a pre-10.2 database

Thanks indeed

CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************
This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original
message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this
e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are
unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every
reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any
damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You
should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or
attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content
of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or
from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.

  • Oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org at Oct 25, 2006 at 10:30 am
    Vivek
    Getting the following Error When Running the script utlu102i.sql
    (with Database being brought up using the existing 9i ORACLE_HOME)

    DECLARE
    *
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-20000: Version 9.2.0.3.0 not supported for upgrade to release
    10.2.0

    NOTE - The Current Database version here is 9.2.0.3.0

    Qs Does the Upgrade path necessarily need an intermediate Upgrade
    1st from existing 9.2.0.3.0 to 9.2.0.?.? & only thereafter to
    10.2.0.?.?
    Also that is well documented. Have a look here for this specific
    question...
    http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/preup.
    htm#sthref52

    I'm sure you will have other "surprises" as well. Therefore I can only
    suggest you to read the Upgrade Guide. I mean, not only the two sections
    I pointed out.

    Best regards,
    Chris

grouporacle-l @