Hello all,

Twice this week the 10g listener spun a child process and hung all new
connections to any database (10.2.0.2 on HPUX 11.11) This is what it
looked like:

ps -ef ...

oracle 21170 16606 0 13:57:00 ? 0:00
/usr/oracle/rdbms/10.2/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit
oracle 16606 1 0 Aug 28 ? 83:26
/usr/oracle/rdbms/10.2/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit

The only way to fix this was to kill the processes (lsnrctl did not
work) and start the listener again... No error messages were found in
the listener.log.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Abraham Guerra
American Family Insurance.

Search Discussions

  • Fuad Arshad at Sep 1, 2006 at 3:55 pm
    oracle calls this a feature i think it is a bug
    anyways the fix is
    subscribe_for_node_down_event=off
    in listener.ora

    Twice this week the 10g listener spun a child process and hung all new
    connections to any database (10.2.0.2 on HPUX 11.11) This is what it
    looked like:

    ps -ef ...

    oracle 21170 16606 0 13:57:00 ? 0:00
    /usr/oracle/rdbms/10.2/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit
    oracle 16606 1 0 Aug 28 ? 83:26
    /usr/oracle/rdbms/10.2/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit

    The only way to fix this was to kill the processes (lsnrctl did not
    work) and start the listener again... No error messages were found in
    the listener.log.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Abraham Guerra
    American Family Insurance.
  • Jesse, Rich at Sep 1, 2006 at 4:23 pm
    Check Metalink article 284602.1. The parameter is actually:

    SUBSCRIBE_FOR_NODE_DOWN_EVENT_[LISTENER]=OFF

    where [LISTENER] is the name of the listener, which by default is
    "LISTENER".

    Enjoy!

    Rich

    Twice this week the 10g listener spun a child process and hung all new
    connections to any database (10.2.0.2 on HPUX 11.11) This is what it
    looked like:

    ps -ef ...

    oracle 21170 16606 0 13:57:00 ? 0:00
    /usr/oracle/rdbms/10.2/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit
    oracle 16606 1 0 Aug 28 ? 83:26
    /usr/oracle/rdbms/10.2/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit

    The only way to fix this was to kill the processes (lsnrctl did not
    work) and start the listener again... No error messages were found in
    the listener.log.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Abraham Guerra
    American Family Insurance.
  • Niall Litchfield at Sep 4, 2006 at 12:18 pm
    and how on earth would anyone discover this when a search, specifically for
    this string SUBSCRIBE_FOR_NODE_DOWN_EVENT returns no hits on metalink. I
    don't happen to agree with those who suggest that metalink should be
    google-searchable, but with the inability of the search engine to return
    hits that are there, I can see the arguments :(

    ________________________________

    Twice this week the 10g listener spun a child process and hung all new
    connections to any database (10.2.0.2 on HPUX 11.11) This is what it
    looked like:

    ps -ef ...

    oracle 21170 16606 0 13:57:00 ? 0:00
    /usr/oracle/rdbms/10.2/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit
    oracle 16606 1 0 Aug 28 ? 83:26
    /usr/oracle/rdbms/10.2/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit

    The only way to fix this was to kill the processes (lsnrctl did not
    work) and start the listener again... No error messages were found in
    the listener.log.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Abraham Guerra
    American Family Insurance.

    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA
    http://www.orawin.info

  • Remigiusz Sokołowski at Sep 4, 2006 at 12:34 pm