Dear expert,

i tried compressed backup in 10g RMAN and very curious
about its performance.
OS: AIX 5.3 ML04

CPU: 12 with dual core
MEMORY: 60GB

Datafiles were raw partition, backup directory were
mounted with Concurrent IO.

If i ran the backup of 1 datafile without compression
to disk, it took 45 seconds with backup size 5.17 GB.
If i ran the same backup with compression, it took 290
seconds with backup size 838 MB.
So it's about 6 times slower.

Some presentation i read (one from Mr. Antognini) show
that the overhead of compression is small, only about
15%.
Could someone shared their experieces on compressed
backup, especially with big sized database.

regards,
tomi

Do You Yahoo!?
http://mail.yahoo.com

  • Radoulov, Dimitre at Aug 2, 2006 at 8:55 am

    Could someone shared their experieces on compressed
    backup, especially with big sized database.
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 4)
    Oracle Database 10g Release 10.2.0.2.0 SE

    Not a big size database: 30GB (~18GB used), backed up on a NFS mounted drive (all filesystems are ext3 type).

    full backup without compress: backup sets size ~13GB, elapsed 37min
    full backup with compress: backup set size < 2GB, elapsed 26min

    BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF

    PARALLELISM 1 (SE doesn't support parallelism > 1)

    Regards
    Dimitre
  • Tomi Wijanto at Aug 2, 2006 at 10:09 am
    It's seem that your system is I/O bound. Smaller
    backup size result in faster time.

    Mine seems to be CPU bound.

    regards,
    tomi

    "Radoulov, Dimitre" wrote:
    Could someone shared their experieces on
    compressed
    backup, especially with big sized database.
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update
    4)
    Oracle Database 10g Release 10.2.0.2.0 SE

    Not a big size database: 30GB (~18GB used), backed
    up on a NFS mounted drive (all filesystems are ext3
    type).

    full backup without compress: backup sets size
    ~13GB, elapsed 37min
    full backup with compress: backup set size < 2GB,
    elapsed 26min

    BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF
    PARALLELISM 1 (SE doesn't support parallelism > 1)

    Regards
    Dimitre
    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://mail.yahoo.com

  • Spears, Brian at Aug 2, 2006 at 11:19 am
    When I turned on the compression, all the 4 cpu's just pegged on a pretty
    good solid machine because we had 4 threads. We have played around a lot
    with tuning the backups which made the difference. We have backed up to Disk
    and tape. Pros/cons with both like write to multiple tapes as recovery is
    faster etc. I think we get about 160gig backed up per hour on average

    Brian

    "Radoulov, Dimitre" wrote:
    Could someone shared their experieces on
    compressed
    backup, especially with big sized database.
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update
    4)
    Oracle Database 10g Release 10.2.0.2.0 SE

    Not a big size database: 30GB (~18GB used), backed
    up on a NFS mounted drive (all filesystems are ext3
    type).

    full backup without compress: backup sets size
    ~13GB, elapsed 37min
    full backup with compress: backup set size < 2GB,
    elapsed 26min

    BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF
    PARALLELISM 1 (SE doesn't support parallelism > 1)

    Regards
    Dimitre
    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://mail.yahoo.com