we have DELL 6800 server (Xeon 64 bits) with Redhat As
4.0 (64 bits) installed on it.

After I installed ORACLE LINUX 10GR2 64 bits software
and I found following:

select platform_id, platform_name from v$database;

13
Linux 64-bit for AMD

is it typo for ORACLE? does it mean INTEL chip not
compatible with 64 bit ORACLE?

Thanks.

Do You Yahoo!?
http://mail.yahoo.com

  • Paul Drake at May 31, 2006 at 6:44 pm

    we have DELL 6800 server (Xeon 64 bits) with Redhat As
    4.0 (64 bits) installed on it.

    After I installed ORACLE LINUX 10GR2 64 bits software
    and I found following:

    select platform_id, platform_name from v$database;

    13
    Linux 64-bit for AMD

    is it typo for ORACLE? does it mean INTEL chip not
    compatible with 64 bit ORACLE?

    Thanks.
    AMD came out with the x86-64 instruction set long before Intel did - way
    back when the Itanium chip was where Intel wanted the market to go ... along
    with HP.
    Intel later grudgingly adopted the features, branded as "EM64T".

    hth.

    Paul

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle