I ran into a problem a few weeks back where the ASM archive
destination filled up.
I wrote a sql script to test the freespace in the disk groups against
some thresholds and create a logfile. sqlplus will either exit with
"0" - good or "number" numbers of exceptions or alerts.
The shell script that calls it will tail the log for the #of lines
returned from sqlplus and use "logger" to write a message to /var/log/
messages so our monitoring package will pick them up.

Is anyone else monitoring ASM for freespace? If so, how are you doing
it? I heard that OEM will do it, but we aren't using it.

This works for us, but there are a lot of clever people on this list
that come up with great solutions.
I was going to have the sql script use dbms_system to write the error
to the alert log of the ASM clients, but one is a standby database
and isn't open so dbms_system isn't available.

The OS is RH Linux and the db is 10.2 EE.

Thanks,
Steve

Search Discussions

  • Alex Gorbachev at May 17, 2006 at 6:37 pm
    If your archived redo logs are in flash recovery area than Oracle
    already monitors it and you can either chesk it in the
    DBA_CURRENT_ALERTS (I might be wrong with name) or in alert.log or
    subscribe to notofications via advanced queue (if I remeber correctly
    this last part).

    2006/5/17, Steve Perry :

    --
    Best regards,
    Alex Gorbachev

    http://oracloid.blogspot.com

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedMay 17, '06 at 2:38a
activeMay 17, '06 at 6:37p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Alex Gorbachev: 1 post Steve Perry: 1 post