Hello list,

When I grant execute on a function to a user, the session is wating on
'library cache pin' wait event. I have waited for 20 min. still
session waits on the same wait event.
Any ideas?

OS : HP SUPERDOM

ORACLE : 9I Rel.2 (9205)

--
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain

"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

  • Bobak, Mark at Apr 6, 2006 at 1:54 pm
    �http://www.ixora.com.au/q+a/0105/04080510.htm

    --
    Mark J. Bobak
    Senior Oracle Architect

    relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. --Richard P. Feynman, 1918-1988

    When I grant execute on a function to a user, the session is wating on
    'library cache pin' wait event. I have waited for 20 min. still session
    waits on the same wait event.
    Any ideas?

    OS : HP SUPERDOM

    ORACLE : 9I Rel.2 (9205)

    --
    Best Regards,
    Syed Jaffar Hussain
    8i,9i & 10g, OCP DBA
    Banque Saudi Fransi,
    Saudi Arabia
    http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/

    "Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

  • Domingo Diaz Saenz at Apr 6, 2006 at 1:58 pm
    http://www.orafaq.com/faq/RDBMS_Server/Internals/faq502.htm
    When I grant execute on a function to a user, the session is wating on
    'library cache pin' wait event. I have waited for 20 min. still
    session waits on the same wait event.
    Any ideas?

    OS : HP SUPERDOM
    ORACLE : 9I Rel.2 (9205)

    --
    Best Regards,
    Syed Jaffar Hussain
    8i,9i & 10g, OCP DBA
    Banque Saudi Fransi,
    Saudi Arabia
    http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/

    "Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

    Domingo Diaz Saenz

  • Baumgartel, Paul at Apr 6, 2006 at 1:59 pm
    I've often wondered why grants and revokes require exclusive pins. Why would a grant have to invalidate cached metadata for the object?

    Paul Baumgartel
    paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com
    212.538.1143

    relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. --Richard P. Feynman, 1918-1988

    When I grant execute on a function to a user, the session is wating on
    'library cache pin' wait event. I have waited for 20 min. still session
    waits on the same wait event.
    Any ideas?

    OS : HP SUPERDOM

    ORACLE : 9I Rel.2 (9205)

    --
    Best Regards,
    Syed Jaffar Hussain
    8i,9i & 10g, OCP DBA
    Banque Saudi Fransi,
    Saudi Arabia
    http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/

    "Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

  • Riyaj Shamsudeen at Apr 6, 2006 at 2:00 pm
    Simply means, another session is holding the library cache pin in an
    incompatible state. Most probably, the function is executing currently.
    Although, I have seen lcpin waits due to bugs.

    Grants need to take library cache pin on that object. You could
    potentially use the following SQL to identify the objects.

    select sid Holder,KGLPNUSE Sesion, KGLPNMOD Held, KGLPNREQ Req
    from x$kglpn, v$session
    where KGLPNHDL in (select p1raw from v$session_wait
    where state='WAITING' and event like 'library cache pin%')
    and KGLPNMOD <> 0
    and v$session.saddr=x$kglpn.kglpnuse;

    --

    Thanks

    Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
    Certified Oracle DBA (ver 7.0 - 9i)
    Allocation & Assortment planning systems
    JCPenney

    The Human Fly wrote:
    Hello list,

    When I grant execute on a function to a user, the session is wating on
    'library cache pin' wait event. I have waited for 20 min. still
    session waits on the same wait event.
    Any ideas?

    OS : HP SUPERDOM
    ORACLE : 9I Rel.2 (9205)

    --
    Best Regards,
    Syed Jaffar Hussain
    8i,9i & 10g, OCP DBA
    Banque Saudi Fransi,
    Saudi Arabia
    http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
    "Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

    material. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
    you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review,
    dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any
    attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
    recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
    computer.
  • Bobak, Mark at Apr 6, 2006 at 2:41 pm
    My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the cached metadata includes
    the grant information. If you grant/revoke to/from an object, that
    metadata must change. In order to change it, an exclusive pin would be
    required.

    --
    Mark J. Bobak
    Senior Oracle Architect
    ProQuest Information & Learning

    relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. --Richard P. Feynman, 1918-1988

    relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. --Richard P. Feynman, 1918-1988

    When I grant execute on a function to a user, the session is wating on
    'library cache pin' wait event. I have waited for 20 min. still session
    waits on the same wait event.
    Any ideas?

    OS : HP SUPERDOM

    ORACLE : 9I Rel.2 (9205)

    --
    Best Regards,
    Syed Jaffar Hussain
    8i,9i & 10g, OCP DBA
    Banque Saudi Fransi,
    Saudi Arabia
    http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/

    "Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

    Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic
    communications disclaimer:

  • Baumgartel, Paul at Apr 7, 2006 at 1:39 pm
    That makes sense. I failed to consider cached information. Thanks for the reply.