All,

We have a pair IBM P690 machines running AIX 5.3.

I was wondering if anyone is running RAC on these machines.

Is it true I would need to use RAW devices because of RAC? "Normal"
file systems would not work for RAC.

And can the machines be geographically apart from each other (like
within a mile)?

Last I heard the physical distance was a problem, but things change fast
around here.

Thanks

Tom Mercadante

Search Discussions

  • K Gopalakrishnan at Feb 14, 2006 at 7:54 pm
    Tom:

    You didn't tell me the version. So I will be a generalist here.
    Is it true I would need to use RAW devices because of RAC? "Normal" file
    systems would not work for RAC.
    Yep. Another option is to use ASM (in 10g)
    And can the machines be geographically apart from each other (like within a
    mile)?

    Last I heard the physical distance was a problem, but things change fast
    around here.
    Within a mile is possible. I know few people who are using that.

    --
    Best Regards,
    K Gopalakrishnan

    Never really seriously looked into it...just curious.....

    -Mark

    --
    Mark J. Bobak
    Senior Oracle Architect

    "Exception: Some dividends may be reported as qualified dividends but
    are not qualified dividends. These include:

    * Dividends you received on any share of stock that you held for less
    than 61 days during the 121-day period that began 60 days before the
    ex-dividend date. The ex-dividend date is the first date following the
    declaration of a dividend on which the purchaser of a stock is not
    entitled to receive the next dividend payment. When counting the number
    of days you held the stock, include the day you disposed of the stock
    but not the day you acquired it. See the examples below. Also, when
    counting the number of days you held the stock, you cannot count certain
    days during which your risk of loss was diminished. See Pub. 550 for
    more details."
    --IRS, Form 1040-A Instruction Booklet, Line 9b: Qualified Dividends

    You didn't tell me the version. So I will be a generalist here.
    Is it true I would need to use RAW devices because of RAC? "Normal"
    file systems would not work for RAC.
    Yep. Another option is to use ASM (in 10g)
    And can the machines be geographically apart from each other (like
    within a mile)?

    Last I heard the physical distance was a problem, but things change
    fast around here.
    Within a mile is possible. I know few people who are using that.
  • Oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org at Feb 14, 2006 at 8:11 pm
    That was my question. What do I need to make it work, or, can it work?

    You didn't tell me the version. So I will be a generalist here.
    Is it true I would need to use RAW devices because of RAC? "Normal"
    file systems would not work for RAC.
    Yep. Another option is to use ASM (in 10g)
    And can the machines be geographically apart from each other (like
    within a mile)?

    Last I heard the physical distance was a problem, but things change
    fast around here.
    Within a mile is possible. I know few people who are using that.
  • K Gopalakrishnan at Feb 14, 2006 at 9:18 pm
    It just works and I think (!) one of our listers has that
    configuration on AIX.
    (But that is across the street!).

    There are many ways to make that work depending on the distance, you
    may have to use dark fiber/DWDM or array mirroring.

    On 2/14/06, Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)
[...]

  • Pete Sharman at Feb 15, 2006 at 6:46 pm
    Generator Microsoft Word 11 (filtered) Tom

    No, it is not true that you need to use raw devices because of RAC. You need to use raw devices ONLY where the OS can' t share files between nodes. If you were on a real operating system (also known as VAX) this wouldn' t be a problem.

    OK, OK, I' m biased! J

    Honestly though, this is an OS limitation that RAC has to work with, rather than necessarily a RAC limitation. If the OS you use supports a CFS, you can use that instead. Alternatively, you could use ASM if you' re looking at 10g.

    We do have customers with systems that are further apart than a mile, mostly I think using dark fibre (or dark fiber for you Yanks). Again, the limitation here is more of an OS one. If you can cluster the boxes, RAC should work on top of that. Having said that, there is of course a latency issue that gets worse as you move the boxes further apart. Only testing of your specific app in that environment can tell whether that latency is acceptable or not.

    HTH.

    Pete

    Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

    "Oh no, it's not. It's much harder than that!"
    Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA
    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org On Behalf Of Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2006 6:10 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Oracle Rac and IBM P-series machines

    All,
    We have a pair IBM P690 machines running AIX 5.3.

    I was wondering if anyone is running RAC on these machines.

    Is it true I would need to use RAW devices because of RAC? " Normal" file systems would not work for RAC.

    And can the machines be geographically apart from each other (like within a mile)?
    Last I heard the physical distance was a problem, but things change fast around here.

    Thanks
    Tom Mercadante

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle