I'm trying to test a conversion from raw to filesystems.
a couple of questions am planning to use dd
this is AIX 5.2
i know to convert from raw to filesystem there is an filesystem header offset you need to be careful of .
a simple dd wont work to convert.
any ideas suggestions.

Search Discussions

  • Radoulov, Dimitre at Feb 8, 2006 at 4:40 pm

    I'm trying to test a conversion from raw to filesystems.
    a couple of questions am planning to use dd
    this is AIX 5.2
    i know to convert from raw to filesystem there is an filesystem header
    offset you need to be careful of .
    a simple dd wont work to convert.
    any ideas suggestions.
    Did it many times without any problem (on SUN Solaris).

    Regards,
    Dimitre
  • Fuad Arshad at Feb 8, 2006 at 4:52 pm
    thisis what i get after the plain dd
    dd if=/dev/rvdsystem01 of=/usr/local/oracle/database/tempdb01/system01.dbf
    SQL> alter database open;
    alter database open
    *
    ERROR at line 1:

    ORA-01122: database file 1 failed verification check
    ORA-01110: data file 1: '/usr/local/oracle/database/tempdb01/system01.dbf'
    ORA-01251: Unknown File Header Version read for file number 1

    "Radoulov, Dimitre" wrote:
    I'm trying to test a conversion from raw to filesystems.
    a couple of questions am planning to use dd
    this is AIX 5.2
    i know to convert from raw to filesystem there is an filesystem header
    offset you need to be careful of .
    a simple dd wont work to convert.
    any ideas suggestions.
    Did it many times without any problem (on SUN Solaris).

    Regards,
    Dimitre
  • Radoulov, Dimitre at Feb 8, 2006 at 5:04 pm

    thisis what i get after the plain dd
    dd if=/dev/rvdsystem01
    of=/usr/local/oracle/database/tempdb01/system01.dbf
    SQL> alter database open;
    alter database open
    *
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01122: database file 1 failed verification check
    ORA-01110: data file 1: '/usr/local/oracle/database/tempdb01/system01.dbf'
    ORA-01251: Unknown File Header Version read for file number 1
    I've always used the bs option(bs=1048576 in my case):

    bs=n Set both input and output block sizes to n bytes,
    superseding ibs= and obs=. If no conversion other than
    sync, noerror, and notrunc is specified, each input
    block will be copied to the output as a single block
    without aggregating short blocks.

    Example:

    dd if=/dev/vx/rdsk/... of=/u01/oracle/... bs=1048576

    And I found this on MetaLink:

    ORA-1251

    Text: Unknown File Header Version read for file number %s

    Cause: Read of the file header returned a record but its version cannot be
    identified. Either the header has been corrupted, or the file is not a valid
    database file.
    Action: Have the operating system make the correct file available to the
    database, or recover the file.

    If you have a backup please restore the backup and retry the operation.Make
    sure you have specified like the following:
    dd if=/dev/xxx of=/a/spdevs04/ibmfs/osupport/yyy bs=4096 skip=1

    Reference:

    Note:1027958.6 MPP: (UNIX) COPYING RAW DEVICE TO FILE SYSTEM USING DD
    COMMAND

    Regards,
    Dimitre
  • Zhu chao at Feb 8, 2006 at 5:21 pm
    On some unix there is some overhead needed and some not.
    On AIX i think it is 4k.

    Anyway, using rman to copy the datafiles from raw to filesystem will always
    work for all platforms, no offset to consider at all:)
    I'm trying to test a conversion from raw to filesystems.
    a couple of questions am planning to use dd
    this is AIX 5.2
    i know to convert from raw to filesystem there is an filesystem header
    offset you need to be careful of .
    a simple dd wont work to convert.
    any ideas suggestions.
    Did it many times without any problem (on SUN Solaris).

    Regards,
    Dimitre

    Regards
    Zhu Chao