Can someone here verify the licensing status of OID?

I've looked in the Oracle Store, OTN, googled, etc.

The confusion comes from the way it's now bundled.

OID in 9.x was bundled with the Oracle RDBMS.

That changed with 10g.

OID is now bundled with the app server, which is a separately licensed
product.

So, is OID now a product that must be licensed separately, by purchasing
10gAS?

Thanks,

Jared Still

  • Jason Heinrich at Oct 14, 2005 at 8:19 am
    I asked our Oracle reseller this very same question, and this was her answer
    on 8/25/2005:

    "Per Oracles latest price list dated 8/19/05 it states:
    That for the Database (10G) this use is allowed...

    "Restricted Use: Oracle Internet Directory for the purposes of storing
    Oracle Database Service information."

    So I guess that as long as you don't use any of the AS stuff (which you have
    to install to get OID), you don't need a license. Seems like a waste of
    disk space to me.
    Can someone here verify the licensing status of OID?
    I've looked in the Oracle Store, OTN, googled, etc.
    The confusion comes from the way it's now bundled.
    OID in 9.x was bundled with the Oracle RDBMS.
    That changed with 10g.
    OID is now bundled with the app server, which is a separately licensed
    product.
    So, is OID now a product that must be licensed separately, by purchasing
    10gAS?
    Jason Heinrich
    Oracle Database Administrator
    Pensacola Christian College
    (850) 478-8496 x2509
    jheinrich_at_pcci.edu
  • Jared Still at Oct 14, 2005 at 9:12 am
    Thanks Jason, much appreciated.

    Jared

    --
    Jared Still

  • Jesse, Rich at Oct 14, 2005 at 9:31 am
    That's the same information I have from a TAR I filed. However, I'm
    still unable to find any information on the technical aspects of exactly
    how to install the damnable thing in an existing DB. See the
    single-post thread "Migrating Oracle Names to 10g OID".

    Bleah.

    Rich

[...]

  • Yechiel Adar at Oct 16, 2005 at 9:30 am
    Hello Jared

    If you use OID as a substitute for Oracle names, it is free.
    If you use it for another things, like Oracle advance security, you need
    to buy that option and OID is included.

    Adar Yechiel
    Rechovot, Israel

    Jared Still wrote:
    Can someone here verify the licensing status of OID?

    I've looked in the Oracle Store, OTN, googled, etc.

    The confusion comes from the way it's now bundled.

    OID in 9.x was bundled with the Oracle RDBMS.

    That changed with 10g.

    OID is now bundled with the app server, which is a separately licensed
    product.

    So, is OID now a product that must be licensed separately, by
    purchasing 10gAS?

    Thanks,

    Jared Still

grouporacle-l @