Friends,

We have the utter most critical database in the bank which is used for
share trading appliction. The database runs on AIX 5.2L OS with 12 cpu
and 24GB of RAM. SGA is around 3GB and PGA is 2.4 GB.
We are planning to enable index monitoring on application schema, this
schema is heavily accessed during trading hours, i.e. 3 hrs. in the
morning and 3 hrs. in the evening, though its 24x7 database, and
number of transaction per second are 120.
Could you please shed some lime light or suggest us as per your
experience that enabling index monitoring cause any performance
degradation? Because, even 5% of performance degradation is un
acceptable. Please lets us know the pros and cons of enabling index
monitoring.
We also planning to enable table monitoring on this schema to collect
statistics on table which has STALE statistics. Does this effect the
performance?

Thank you in advance

--
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain

  • Edgar Chupit at Sep 14, 2005 at 2:37 am
    In 10g MONITORING clause is deprecated, and if you have
    STATISTICS_LEVEL>BASIC all the segments are monitored.
    From my observations performance degradation from MONITORING segments
    is very low, because Oracle changes counters in memory and flushes
    changes periodically (asynchronously). You can search archives, this
    topic has been discussed here.

    The data that is collected during monitoring of the segment is used by
    the dbms_stat to determine if the segment statistics are staled and
    should statistics be regathered, so there will be no effect from
    monitoring segments with STALED statistics.

    Please read this thread for more information:
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:1260600445561

    And of course don't forget to test your ideas before implementing them
    on the production servers.
    We also planning to enable table monitoring on this schema to collect
    statistics on table which has STALE statistics. Does this effect the
    performance?

    Thank you in advance
    --
    Best Regards,
    Syed Jaffar Hussain
    OCP 8i & 9i DBA,
    Banque Saudi Fransi,
    Saudi Arabia
    --
    Best regards,
    Edgar Chupit
    callto://edgar.chupit

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedSep 14, '05 at 2:17a
activeSep 14, '05 at 2:37a
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Edgar Chupit: 1 post The Human Fly: 1 post