Thanks

Pete

Search Discussions

  • Smith, Ron L. at Aug 31, 2005 at 2:32 pm
    SQL> archive log list?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
    On Behalf Of Peter Hitchman
    Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 2:26 PM
    To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
    Subject: Duplicating 8.1.7 database to a scn

    Hi,
    I need to duplicate an Oracle 8.1.7 database to a given point in

    time. I have seen problems when trying to do this with the set command
    specifying a date, but I have done it using an scn number when I got the
    scn number from a duplication that did a full recovery.

    If I stop all transactions in the database how do I find out
    what scn number to use? I have it in mind to archive the current log so
    that all of the changes are in the redo stream, will the most recent
    archive log give me the scn number and if so where do I get this
    information from.

    Thanks

    Pete

  • Ruth Gramolini at Sep 1, 2005 at 3:41 pm
    Pete,

    To do a point in time recovery, you need to set you NLS_DATE_FORMAN to
    mm-dd-yy:hh24:mi_ss in the OS before envoking rman. With the auxiliary
    database (clone) in nomount do a connect target..., connect auxiliary ...,
    connect rcvcat .. and then the first line in the run command should be set
    until time '09-02-2005:08:00:00'; for example.

    If you want to know what scn you should use for a set scn look at v$log. or
    v$archived_log (specify the date you want if you want to find the scn for or
    you will get a huge list).

    HTH,

    Ruth

    I need to duplicate an Oracle 8.1.7 database to a given point in time. I
    have seen problems when trying to do this with the set command specifying a
    date, but I have done it using an scn number when I got the scn number from
    a duplication that did a full recovery.

    If I stop all transactions in the database how do I find out what scn number
    to use? I have it in mind to archive the current log so that all of the
    changes are in the redo stream, will the most recent archive log give me
    the scn number and if so where do I get this information from.

    Thanks

    Pete

  • Peter.Hitchman_at_thomson.com at Sep 2, 2005 at 4:16 am
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. The problem the "set until time" with Oracle 8.1.7 and Solaris is that it does not appear to work, well at least it doesn't on the set-up we have here! So that's why I wanted to use an scn, v$archived_log looks like the place to find it. Also using "set until logseq" is another option, I am trying that to see if it will work, since getting the sequence number for a archive log is easy.

    Regards

    Pete

    I need to duplicate an Oracle 8.1.7 database to a given point in time. I have seen problems when trying to do this with the set command specifying a date, but I have done it using an scn number when I got the scn number from a duplication that did a full recovery.

    If I stop all transactions in the database how do I find out what scn number to use? I have it in mind to archive the current log so that all of the changes are in the redo stream, will the most recent archive log give me the scn number and if so where do I get this information from.

    Thanks

    Pete

  • Hemant K Chitale at Sep 2, 2005 at 8:33 am
    Can you list the errors you get when attempting to use "set until time" ?

    As Ruth as explained, NLS_DATE_FORMAT must be set in the OS before
    issuing the RMAN commands.
    Hemant