Hi All,

I have to upgrade an instance from 9.2.0.1 to 9.2.0.6.
Existing ORACLE_HOME is /u01/oracle/product/9201/

Now i want a new oracle_home for 9206 binaries.
say new ORACLE_HOME = /u01/oracle/product/9206/

I am not very much sure about how to do it and one
of my peer suggested to :

Install 9201 binaries alone in new oracle_home
shutdown the existing instance
copy init.ora & other files in dbs directory (of existing oracle_home)
to new oracle_home
change the oracle_home in oratab to new one
change the ENV variables to point to new oracle_home
startup the instance in "startup migrate" mode
run catpatch.sql & utlrp.sql
shutdown/start

Is this the right procedure ?
Hope someone has already done such work !
Suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Prem

Search Discussions

  • Radoulov, Dimitre at Jul 14, 2005 at 6:12 am
    1) Install 9201 binaries alone in new oracle_home
    You mean 9206, right?

    Yes, it works.

    I always follow the steps in the patchset readme file anyway...

    Cheers
    Dimitre

    I have to upgrade an instance from 9.2.0.1 to 9.2.0.6.
    Existing ORACLE_HOME is /u01/oracle/product/9201/

    Now i want a new oracle_home for 9206 binaries.
    say new ORACLE_HOME = /u01/oracle/product/9206/

    I am not very much sure about how to do it and one
    of my peer suggested to :

    1) Install 9201 binaries alone in new oracle_home
    2) shutdown the existing instance
    3) copy init.ora & other files in dbs directory (of existing oracle_home)
    to new oracle_home
    4) change the oracle_home in oratab to new one
    5) change the ENV variables to point to new oracle_home
    6) startup the instance in "startup migrate" mode
    7) run catpatch.sql & utlrp.sql
    8) shutdown/start

    Is this the right procedure ?
    Hope someone has already done such work !
    Suggestions are welcome.

    Regards,
    Prem
  • Prem at Jul 14, 2005 at 6:47 am
    Dimitre,

    I have to install 9201 and then upgrade it to 9206.
    i cannot straightaway install 9206 .... isn't it ?
    Hope you got me !
    can you tell me does it work ?

    Regards,
    Prem.