Hello all,

I just set up a new database on a 2-node 10g RAC. There are already some other databases installed and running, with working failover. For the new db the TAF does not work. As far as I understand (newbie :( ), the following entries in tnsnames.ora should suffice:

GWIT =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = o1.stgkk.sozvers.at)(PORT = 1521))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = o2.stgkk.sozvers.at)(PORT = 1521))
(LOAD_BALANCE = yes)
(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = gwit.stgkk.sozvers.at)
(FAILOVER_MODE =
(TYPE = SELECT)
(METHOD = BASIC)
(RETRIES = 180)
(DELAY = 5)
)

)
)

GWIT1 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = o1.stgkk.sozvers.at)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = gwit.stgkk.sozvers.at)
(INSTANCE_NAME = gwit1)

)
)

GWIT2 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = o2.stgkk.sozvers.at)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = gwit.stgkk.sozvers.at)
(INSTANCE_NAME = gwit2)

)
)

LISTENERS_GWIT =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = o1.stgkk.sozvers.at)(PORT = 1521))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = o2.stgkk.sozvers.at)(PORT = 1521))
)

My testing procedure (instructions from an Oracle support employee) is as follows: I open two separate sqlplus sessions to the same instance, in either of them I execute a long select, followed by a shutdown abort in the other session. The expected result is the select to continue running and finish gracefully on the second instance - but instead I receive "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel".

What am I missing? Any hints highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Steiermärkische Gebietskrankenkasse
A-8011 Graz, Josef-Pongratz-Platz 1, http://www.stgkk.at

Nora Bernhard
OE Informationstechnologie - Systemadministration
Tel: +43 (0) 316 8035 - 1349
Fax: +43 (0) 316 8035 - 661349
mailto:nora.bernhard_at_stgkk.sozvers.at

Search Discussions

  • Khemmanivanh, Somckit at Jul 14, 2005 at 4:16 am
    Hmm, I don't see a FAILOVER = yes entry in your GWIT entry -- I have a 10g 2 node RAC cluster also.
    My test works for me -- that is sess1 sqlplus select, and shutdown abort the instance from sess 2. Sess 1 fails over to the surviving instance and finishes the select statement from where it left off...

    Did you happen to verify how you were connected before perfoming the shutdown abort?

    I used a slightly modded Jeff Hunter script to do this:

    COLUMN instance_name FORMAT a13
    COLUMN host_name FORMAT a9
    COLUMN failover_method FORMAT a15
    COLUMN failed_over FORMAT a11

    SELECT

    instance_name, host_name, NULL AS failover_type, NULL AS failover_method, NULL AS failed_over

    FROM v$instance
    UNION

    SELECT

    NULL, NULL, failover_type, failover_method, failed_over

    FROM v$session;

    Thanks!
[...]

  • Niall Litchfield at Jul 14, 2005 at 5:38 am
    Hi Nora
    you need a (FAILOVER=ON) line immediately below or above the
    (LOAD_BALANCE=yes) line in tnsnames.ora.
  • Arun chakrapani rao at Jul 14, 2005 at 9:20 am
    It is better to set the failover=on and enable=broken
    and also did u check on both listeners side that both
    instances are getting registered for the service which
    u are using.

    I use the following tnsname and is working uptil now.

    CMSPRD_BT =

    (DESCRIPTION =

    (LOAD_BALANCE = on)
    (FAILOVER = on)

[...]