I am using the duplicate command in RMAN to duplicate a database to
another server.

I have not specified set until time but I wish to have to go to the last
night's backup which is run at 3:00 according to the crontab job.

When I recover without using any set until time I get errors that state
that there are missing log files. When I copy over the existing archive
files from the production server they are at a much later release then
what is being requested during recovery of the "duplicate" database.

So - those archivelogs are not online.

Should I set the set until to get the hot backup from last night and
what should I set the time to - 3:00 a.m. or later??

Are those logs actually backed up?

How can I be sure that my database full backup gets all the necessary
logs so I can recover from the last night's backup?

Thanks,
Paula

Search Discussions

  • Ruth Gramolini at May 24, 2005 at 3:33 pm
    Paula,

    Use this sql against the rman schema in the recovery catalog database:
    select max(to_char(completion_time,'YYYY-MM-DD:hh24:mi:ss')) from
    RMAN.rc_backup_datafile where db_name='YOUR_DB';

    If you aren't using a recovery catalog use the system logs to find out the
    end time of the backup. Then use this time plus 1 second to account for the
    fractions of a second, to determine the proper until time. Then use a set
    until time clause in your duplicate script as shown in
    O_H/rdbms/demo/case4.rcv.

    The archivelogs will only be backed up if you tell rman to do so. Here are
    my 2 backup statements: the first does the db backup and the second backups
    the archivelogs (after a build in switch log) and deletes the input if
    successful.

    backup incremental level 0
    ( database include current controlfile );

    backup ( archivelog all delete input );

    As you can see, I use incremental level 0 instead of a full backup. This
    allows a point in time recovery or duplicate.

    I hope this helps, if not, let me know. I may be able to help more. Call
    me if you want - 802-828-5708.

    Yours,
    Ruth

[...]

  • Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us at May 24, 2005 at 3:41 pm
    Thanks Ruth,

    I have actually accomplished a duplication before by using a full
    backup. So I am not sure why incremental level 0 is necessary. I do a
    full database backup which apparently gets the controlfile, I then
    archivelog current all, then backup the archives and remove archives
    from the file system so that seems to match what you are doing.

    I think it is the until time that I needed and how to find out the
    exactly correct one and thank you sooo much for the rman sql to see and
    the advice on setting the until time (plus one second). I will try that
    and let you know.

    Thanks again Ruth.

    You're the best!

[...]

    BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

    Spam:
    https://dohsmsi01.doh.state.fl.us/canit/b.php?c=3Ds&i=3D33468615&m=3D6acc=
    5b140
    d89
    Not spam:
    https://dohsmsi01.doh.state.fl.us/canit/b.php?c=3Dn&i=3D33468615&m=3D6acc=
    5b140
    d89
    Forget vote:
    https://dohsmsi01.doh.state.fl.us/canit/b.php?c=3Df&i=3D33468615&m=3D6acc=
    5b140
    d89

    END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

  • Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us at May 25, 2005 at 4:08 am
    Ruth,

    The sql statement below to see the last backup along with adding 1
    second in a set until time was the key. =20

    You rock!!

    Thanks so much.
    Paula=20

[...]

  • Hallas, John, Tech Dev at May 25, 2005 at 6:40 am
    Whether you need an until time or not depends on when the last RMAN
    backup of the archivelogs has taken place.

    If there has been a log switch since the last RMAN archivelog backup
    then you will get the missing log file scenario. So a lot depends on
    timing and the frequency of log switches within the database.

    When we do a duplicate restore we run an archivelog backup first. If
    that is not possible we enter the log sequence number instead (or a
    time)

    duplicate target database to ${Auxiliary_Database}
    ### until scn 9999999999999
    ### until sequence 100 thread 1

    I have actually accomplished a duplication before by using a full
    backup. So I am not sure why incremental level 0 is necessary. I do a
    full database backup which apparently gets the controlfile, I then
    archivelog current all, then backup the archives and remove archives
    from the file system so that seems to match what you are doing.

    I think it is the until time that I needed and how to find out the
    exactly correct one and thank you sooo much for the rman sql to see and
    the advice on setting the until time (plus one second). I will try that
    and let you know.

    Thanks again Ruth.

    You're the best!

  • Marquez, Chris at May 25, 2005 at 5:50 pm
    All,
    duplicate target database
    until scn|sequence|time
    I wonder if any of you all are doing this "duplicate" automatically via
    end-to-end script or manually and plugging in the value for
    scn|sequence|time.

    Thanks,

    Chris Marquez
    Oracle DBA

    The sql statement below to see the last backup along with adding 1
    second in a set until time was the key. =3D20

    You rock!!

    Thanks so much.
    Paula=3D20

[...]

    https://dohsmsi01.doh.state.fl.us/canit/b.php?c=3D3Ds&i=3D3D33468615&m=3D=