OS: Solaris 8
Oracle: AS10g (9.0.4) Infrastructure

I'm in the process of removing all pieces of oracle before doing a
fresh install and I found a directory called /var/preserve/oracle
which has the following files in it:

total 385144
-rw------- 1 oracle bin 13284832 Feb 26 2003 Exaaa0000000229
-rw------- 1 oracle bin 1711112 Mar 3 2002 Exaaa0000000234
-rw------- 1 oracle bin 4110048 Sep 25 2002 Exaaa0000000246
-rw------- 1 oracle dba 28672 Feb 20 2002 Exaaa0000018374
-rw------- 1 oracle dba 84619264 May 6 2002 Exaaa0000023158
-rw------- 1 oracle dba 14831616 Apr 5 2002 Exaaa0000029956
-rw------- 1 oracle bin 24576 Mar 3 2002 Exaab0000000234
-rw------- 1 oracle bin 5167860 Sep 25 2002 Exaab0000000246
-rw------- 1 oracle bin 20536800 Sep 25 2002 Exaac0000000246
-rw------- 1 oracle bin 52692948 Sep 25 2002 Exaad0000000246

Could I remove these files?

Also, I found a lot of stuff in /tmp and /var/tmp owned by Oracle.=20
Should all of this be cleaned up as well?

Thanks,
Scott

Search Discussions

  • Michael Fontana at Apr 20, 2005 at 4:56 pm
    Funny. I looked on one of my Solaris 8 boxes and found that directory as
    well.

    I was never aware of it.

    I've often cleaned up Oracle without knowing about it, and had no problem
    re-installing. So I'd guess you don't have to wipe it for a "fresh
    install".

    However, this is a cleanup step which one would assume the software would
    take care of is you used the installer to "uninstall" your database
    software.

    I don't have a box available to test it. Try it and let me know if it
    works!

[...]

  • Scott Stefick at Apr 20, 2005 at 5:39 pm
    Thanks for the input. I have a tar open because the install is not
    completing. Initially I didn't see that directory and thought that it
    could possibly have something to do with the failed install. I
    cleaned it up and still had the same problems. You're probably
    correct that it doesn't matter if you clean that directory or not.

    Thanks again,
    Scott
    Funny. I looked on one of my Solaris 8 boxes and found that directory as
    well.
    =20
    I was never aware of it.
    =20
[...]
    Also, I found a lot of stuff in /tmp and /var/tmp owned by Oracle.=3D20
    Should all of this be cleaned up as well?
    =20
    Thanks,
    Scott
    =20
  • David Sharples at Apr 20, 2005 at 5:46 pm
    what problems are you having then?