... come to those who wait.

My manager has informed me that he would like me to take
on a role as a database architect rather than 'just' as a DBA.

Good news for me, as that is what I was hired to do at another
job about 52 months ago. Too bad it was at Enron Broadband
Services.

But that's not exactly why I am writing here.

One of the tasks in this capacity is to develop a database
roadmap for our company. Where the technology is going,
how we should exploit it, etc.

As this is something I have not previously done, I was wondering
if anyone has or knows of examples they can share. It would
be nice to see what is typically expected (or not expected) with
this type of a document.

I'm not looking too plagiarize, but just get a better feel for this
type of document, what level of detail it may or may not provide,
that sort of thing.

I have googled for it, but couldn't come up with anything useful.

Jared Still

  • David wendelken at Mar 4, 2005 at 1:56 pm
    Congrats, by the way!
    One of the tasks in this capacity is to develop a database
    roadmap for our company. Where the technology is going,
    how we should exploit it, etc.
    Not sure of what you are looking for...

    An overview of data management technologies - oo-dbms, o/r-dbms, r-dbms?
    Distributed vs centralized capabilities?
    File systems in the database?

    Or, the state of the data models in the corporation and the direction they need to change towards?

    (My guess, based upon many direct professional observations of many companies, plus anecdotal evidence from many more, is that you have a 99.99999999999999999999999 % chance that the current data models in use are incredibly bad, filled with denormalized data that doesn't agree with itself, is structurally static exactly where it most needs to be dynamic, uses the same codes to mean different things for the same data item in different stovepipe systems, is full of invalid data and, in general, shows the result of institutional incompetence on a grand scale for decades.)

    My suggestions would be different for each.
  • Chirag DBA at Mar 4, 2005 at 2:45 pm
    Congrats Jared for to be what you wanted to be and hired to be before 52 months.

    Donno what exactly you are looking for. DB Architect means you will
    decide the DB design, and strattegies for backup and all things I
    guess.

    I m sure for one thing, more you will inform the management, in much
    troubel you will be.

    show them which you feel important for the DB or related with strategy.
[...]

  • Mary Bahrami at Mar 4, 2005 at 3:27 pm
    I haven't done this yet either, but I'd think you would want to define =
    where you company is going first, then define how Oracle/system/db =

    Architecture (present and future) will help your company to achieve its =
    goals. Personally, I put as little detail as I can get away with into =
    stuff going upwards, but depends on tech expertise of your management. =

    Also cannot find good examples via google, but an example of what I mean =
    is on w w w.in formit.com/articles/article.asp?p=3D25146&seqNum=3D5 =20

    My manager has informed me that he would like me to take
    on a role as a database architect rather than 'just' as a DBA.

    Good news for me, as that is what I was hired to do at another
    job about 52 months ago. Too bad it was at Enron Broadband
    Services.

    But that's not exactly why I am writing here.

    One of the tasks in this capacity is to develop a database=20
    roadmap for our company. Where the technology is going,
    how we should exploit it, etc.

    As this is something I have not previously done, I was wondering
    if anyone has or knows of examples they can share. It would=20
    be nice to see what is typically expected (or not expected) with
    this type of a document.

    I'm not looking too plagiarize, but just get a better feel for this
    type of document, what level of detail it may or may not provide,
    that sort of thing.

    I have googled for it, but couldn't come up with anything useful.

    Thanks,

    --=20
    Jared Still
  • JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com at Mar 4, 2005 at 7:04 pm
    From what I've seen you might include things like:
    Increased reliability/24x7 accessibility

    RAC
    Dataguard
    More efficient use of resources
    SAN
    Grid :)

    The key being ways in which the technology will support the company either
    in becoming more efficient, being available more often, saving money, etc.

    Jay Miller

[...]

  • MacGregor, Ian A. at Mar 4, 2005 at 9:19 pm
    I'm not so sure this document should be Oracle-specific. SQL Server =
    will be entering many organizations because there are a growing number =
    if applications which support only it. One of the problems is going to =
    handling information in a heterogenous environment. Products such as =
    Oracle's Interconnect and MIIS provide means to do so. Oracle has also =
    been keen on their datahub. Management of data in an environment which =
    includes different ERP vendors as well as different databases is in =
    store for many of us, if it hasn't arrived already. =20

    Besides addressing data management. You may also want to address user =
    management. Do you just support one client. Single signon, =
    Smartcards, authentication and authorization, account provisioning. How =
    can database technology help here?

    Ian MacGregor
    Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
    ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu =20

[...]