I had Oracle 9i database and need to convert several
reports to Excel Spreadsheet. Is there any procedure
that can help. I am planning to use Orace 9iAS Mod
Plsql to provide direct report to Excel Spread sheet
by call Excel and spreading the data in Columns.

I had seen such kind of report Long time back and so
any idea, URL or example is of great help to me

TIA

Sanjay

Do You Yahoo!?
http://mail.yahoo.com

  • Mercadante, Thomas F at Jan 10, 2005 at 2:18 pm
    Sanjay,

    A very simple way of doing this is to create a tab delimited report (chr(9)
    between each column) and spool a .xls data file within SqlPlus. This
    creates and excel-like file that can be opened directly by Excel.

    I do this all the time and it works fine. It's not fancy, but it always
    works.

    Good Luck.

    Tom

    I had Oracle 9i database and need to convert several
    reports to Excel Spreadsheet. Is there any procedure
    that can help. I am planning to use Orace 9iAS Mod
    Plsql to provide direct report to Excel Spread sheet
    by call Excel and spreading the data in Columns.

    I had seen such kind of report Long time back and so
    any idea, URL or example is of great help to me

    TIA

    Sanjay

    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://mail.yahoo.com
  • Mladen Gogala at Jan 10, 2005 at 2:32 pm

    Sanjay Mishra wrote:
    I had Oracle 9i database and need to convert several
    reports to Excel Spreadsheet. Is there any procedure
    that can help. I am planning to use Orace 9iAS Mod
    Plsql to provide direct report to Excel Spread sheet
    by call Excel and spreading the data in Columns.

    I had seen such kind of report Long time back and so
    any idea, URL or example is of great help to me

    Sanjay, if you have Oracle client on your PC, you can do it without a
    problem.
    Excel can use Oracle's ODBC drivers. Install the ODBC drivers, open Excel,
    go to Data->Import External Data->New Dabase Query, fill in the blanks and
    then do hakuna matata.

    --
    Mladen Gogala
    Oracle DBA

  • Bill Coulam at Jan 10, 2005 at 2:41 pm
    My sample code is at home. Not sure I can find it. Haven't had to do this
    since '97.

    As I recall, you have to manipulate the HTTP header, using
    owa_util.mime_header and close_header or something like that. You specify
    the MIME type as application/vnd.ms-excel.

    The you output text with commas or tabs using htp/htf. I never toyed with
    Excel's binary format to see if I could interface with that. Probably not.
    Perhaps with the latest Excel versions you can output XML that Excel can
    recognize and display.

    Hope that gives you a few more keywords to go off of.

    bill c.

    I had Oracle 9i database and need to convert several
    reports to Excel Spreadsheet. Is there any procedure
    that can help. I am planning to use Orace 9iAS Mod
    Plsql to provide direct report to Excel Spread sheet
    by call Excel and spreading the data in Columns.

    I had seen such kind of report Long time back and so
    any idea, URL or example is of great help to me

    TIA

    Sanjay

    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://mail.yahoo.com

  • Bill Coulam at Jan 10, 2005 at 2:49 pm
    Checking some of my facts, found that Mr. Kyte uses "application/excel" for
    his MIME type. And he mentions the use of a custom package called owa_sylk
    that seems to be intended to output data in ASCII format that Excel can
    recongize. I saved off one of his examples and it worked semi-OK with a few
    errors. So you may need to update owa_sylk for later versions of Excel.

    Good thread here:
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:769425837
    805

    I had Oracle 9i database and need to convert several
    reports to Excel Spreadsheet. Is there any procedure
    that can help. I am planning to use Orace 9iAS Mod
    Plsql to provide direct report to Excel Spread sheet
    by call Excel and spreading the data in Columns.

    I had seen such kind of report Long time back and so
    any idea, URL or example is of great help to me

    TIA

    Sanjay

    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://mail.yahoo.com

  • Jared Still at Jan 10, 2005 at 3:16 pm
    Ugh. owa_sylk is very limited.

    If you know how to use Perl, use the Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
    module in concert with DBI, as it will allow you to create complete
    Excel spreadsheets that do not need further formatting.
[...]

  • Marquez, Chris at Jan 10, 2005 at 4:57 pm
    Been around for a long time...I have never used it;

    http://www.oraxcel.com/
    Bridge between Excel and all your databases=20

    Chris Marquez
    Oracle DBA
    HEYMONitor(tm) - heymonitor.com
    "Oracle Monitoring & Alerting Solution"