I am trying to install a vendor application with an Oracle repository =
and not making much progress. The install has failed and the cleanup =
requires that the pipe be purged and removed or the database be bounced. =
I've been through this four times since Friday afternoon. I can't find =
any way to view whether or not a pipe exists. I know its not a =
conventional database object and that its some sort of memory structure. =
Is there a way to do this? Where do I look?

This is what they gave me to remove the pipe.

declare ret number;=20
begin=20
dbms_pipe.purge('usernamePIPE_MASTER');=20
ret:=3Ddbms_pipe.remove_pipe(user||'pipe_master1');=20
end;=20

Don Freeman
Database Administrator 1
Pennsylvania Dept of Health
Bureau of Information Technology

Search Discussions

  • Powell, Mark D at Jan 10, 2005 at 12:01 pm
    Donald, Try the following query:

    set echo off
    rem pipe_usr.sql
    rem SQL*Plus script to display Oracle pipe usage
    rem
    rem 19980204 m d powell New Script.
    rem
    select u.username, p.name, p.type
    from v$db_pipes p,

    sys.dba_users u
    where p.ownerid = u.user_id
    order by p.name, u.username
    /

    I am trying to install a vendor application with an Oracle repository =
    and not making much progress. The install has failed and the cleanup =
    requires that the pipe be purged and removed or the database be bounced. =
    I've been through this four times since Friday afternoon. I can't find =
    any way to view whether or not a pipe exists. I know its not a =
    conventional database object and that its some sort of memory structure. =
    Is there a way to do this? Where do I look?

    This is what they gave me to remove the pipe.

    declare ret number;=20
    begin=20
    dbms_pipe.purge('usernamePIPE_MASTER');=20
    ret:=3Ddbms_pipe.remove_pipe(user||'pipe_master1');=20
    end;=20

    Don Freeman
    Database Administrator 1
    Pennsylvania Dept of Health
    Bureau of Information Technology

  • Ruth Gramolini at Jan 10, 2005 at 12:05 pm
    I believe you can try to create a pipe with the same name and it will fail
    because it already exists. Ruth

    I am trying to install a vendor application with an Oracle repository =
    and not making much progress. The install has failed and the cleanup =
    requires that the pipe be purged and removed or the database be bounced. =
    I've been through this four times since Friday afternoon. I can't find =
    any way to view whether or not a pipe exists. I know its not a =
    conventional database object and that its some sort of memory structure. =
    Is there a way to do this? Where do I look?

    This is what they gave me to remove the pipe.

    declare ret number;=20
    begin=20
    dbms_pipe.purge('usernamePIPE_MASTER');=20
    ret:=3Ddbms_pipe.remove_pipe(user||'pipe_master1');=20
    end;=20

    Don Freeman
    Database Administrator 1
    Pennsylvania Dept of Health
    Bureau of Information Technology

  • Jonathan Lewis at Jan 10, 2005 at 12:08 pm
    I think v$db_pipes may be the thing
    you're after.

    Regards

    Jonathan Lewis

    The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

    Public Appearances - schedule updated Dec 23rd 2004

    I am trying to install a vendor application with an Oracle repository =
    and not making much progress. The install has failed and the cleanup =
    requires that the pipe be purged and removed or the database be bounced. =
    I've been through this four times since Friday afternoon. I can't find =
    any way to view whether or not a pipe exists. I know its not a =
    conventional database object and that its some sort of memory structure. =
    Is there a way to do this? Where do I look?
  • Mladen Gogala at Jan 10, 2005 at 12:29 pm

    Freeman, Donald wrote:
    I am trying to install a vendor application with an Oracle repository =
    and not making much progress. The install has failed and the cleanup =
    requires that the pipe be purged and removed or the database be bounced. =
    I've been through this four times since Friday afternoon. I can't find =
    any way to view whether or not a pipe exists. I know its not a =
    conventional database object and that its some sort of memory structure. =
    Is there a way to do this? Where do I look?

    You can call a plumber or take a look into v$DB_PIPES. It looks like
    this:
    SQL> desc v$db_pipes

    Name Null? Type
    ----------------------------------------- --------
    ----------------------------
    OWNERID NUMBER
    NAME VARCHAR2(1000)
    TYPE VARCHAR2(7)
    PIPE_SIZE NUMBER

    SQL>

    That should reveal the intricate details of the plumbing in your
    database, so
    that you can then use DBMS_PIPE to obliterate the pipe.

    --
    Mladen Gogala
    Oracle DBA

  • Goulet, Dick at Jan 10, 2005 at 12:30 pm
    Ruth,

    Only if your connected as the same user.=20

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA
    Oracle Certified 8i DBA
    I believe you can try to create a pipe with the same name and it will
    fail
    because it already exists. Ruth

    I am trying to install a vendor application with an Oracle repository =
    =3D
    and not making much progress. The install has failed and the cleanup =
    =3D
    requires that the pipe be purged and removed or the database be bounced.
    =3D
    I've been through this four times since Friday afternoon. I can't find
    =3D
    any way to view whether or not a pipe exists. I know its not a =3D
    conventional database object and that its some sort of memory structure.
    =3D
    Is there a way to do this? Where do I look?

    This is what they gave me to remove the pipe.

    declare ret number;=3D20
    begin=3D20
    dbms_pipe.purge('usernamePIPE_MASTER');=3D20
    ret:=3D3Ddbms_pipe.remove_pipe(user||'pipe_master1');=3D20
    end;=3D20

    Don Freeman
    Database Administrator 1
    Pennsylvania Dept of Health
    Bureau of Information Technology

  • Ankur Shah at Jan 10, 2005 at 2:03 pm
    Try using reset_buffer

    declare ret number;
    begin=20
    dbms_pipe.purge('usernamePIPE_MASTER');
    ret:=3Ddbms_pipe.remove_pipe(user||'pipe_master1');
    DBMS_PIPE.RESET_BUFFER;

    end;

    HTHU

    Ankur Shah
    Oracle DBA
    DHR/Public Heatlth,Georgia.

    I am trying to install a vendor application with an Oracle repository =
    and not making much progress. The install has failed and the cleanup =
    requires that the pipe be purged and removed or the database be bounced. =
    I've been through this four times since Friday afternoon. I can't find =
    any way to view whether or not a pipe exists. I know its not a =
    conventional database object and that its some sort of memory structure. =
    Is there a way to do this? Where do I look?

    This is what they gave me to remove the pipe.

    declare ret number;=20
    begin=20
    dbms_pipe.purge('usernamePIPE_MASTER');=20
    ret:=3Ddbms_pipe.remove_pipe(user||'pipe_master1');=20
    end;=20

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJan 10, '05 at 11:47a