This should be a simple RMAN task but I can't find the "recipe" to do it....

I want to restore my backup (assume backup to disk - no MML considerations) to a new host. I know about the duplicate command but this assumes that the original target is available. What if my original server has died? (don't worry - only a test!)

I'm sure this is a RTFM - but what FM to R?

Thanks
- Charlotte

Do you Yahoo!?

  • Boris Dali at Dec 8, 2004 at 10:40 am
    Yes, I found FM quite useful on this (along with
    Robert's book and metalink):

    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmrecov.htm#1007514

    If your original host is unavailable, than I think it
    becomes a DR scenario, where "duplicate" is
    inappropriate. The basic steps are:
    - restore spfile (depending on whether or not the
    catalog is in use - from autobackup or normal
    backupset)

    - restore control file and mount the db
    - restore/recover the rest
    - open resetlogs

    Since no MML is involved, the only difficult part
    might be to make backups available to rman at the same
    location as on the original host (NFS mount - if orig
    host is still alive, "backup backupset", soft links,
    etc. do the trick)

    Thanks,
    Boris Dali.

    Charlotte Hammond
    wrote:
    This should be a simple RMAN task but I can't find
    the "recipe" to do it....

    I want to restore my backup (assume backup to disk -
    no MML considerations) to a new host. I know about
    the duplicate command but this assumes that the
    original target is available. What if my original
    server has died? (don't worry - only a test!)

    I'm sure this is a RTFM - but what FM to R?

    Thanks
    - Charlotte

    Do you Yahoo!?
    http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

  • Andy Rivenes at Dec 8, 2004 at 11:17 am
    There is a paper on appsdba.com that describes how to do this with 8.0
    RMAN. Even though it's incredibly old, it still may be of some help. For
    what you want to do I don't think too much has changed all the way through 10g.

    http://www.appsdba.com/papers/restore.pdf
    This should be a simple RMAN task but I can't find the "recipe" to do it....

    I want to restore my backup (assume backup to disk - no MML
    considerations) to a new host. I know about the duplicate command but
    this assumes that the original target is available. What if my original
    server has died? (don't worry - only a test!)

    I'm sure this is a RTFM - but what FM to R?

    Thanks
    - Charlotte
    Andy Rivenes
    Email: arivenes_at_llnl.gov