List - Recently in response to an RMAN question, several listers mentioned
how critical it is to perform a test recovery after configuring RMAN. I
agree whole-heartedly. I was wondering if some people could share some
details of what tests seem appropriate. A simple test I can think of is to
backup the database, then shut it down, rename the system datafile, then
attempt to bring the database back up, then recover the datafile using an
RMAN command and open the database. Is this test sufficient? On one hand I
want to ensure RMAN is correctly configured for backup and recovery, but on
the other hand these tests are best performed on a new database before
handing it over to the users. And the users are usually clamoring to use the
database, so I don't want to conduct extensive tests that are just testing
RMAN itself. Any thoughts?

Dennis Williams

DBA

Lifetouch, Inc.

Search Discussions

  • Stephens, Chris at Nov 22, 2004 at 9:55 am
    We always tested:

    Lost datafile
    Lost system datafile
    Lost control file
    Lost all control files
    Lost pfile,spfile

    =20

    mentioned how critical it is to perform a test recovery after
[...]

  • Alex at Nov 22, 2004 at 10:10 am
    When you say lost datafile and other files, do you mean completely lost or did you have backup copies?

    "Stephens, Chris" wrote:
    We always tested:

    Lost datafile
    Lost system datafile
    Lost control file
    Lost all control files
    Lost pfile,spfile

    =20

[...]

    The all-new My Yahoo! – Get yours free!

  • Guang Mei at Nov 24, 2004 at 12:36 pm
    Hi:

    I know I could get this info from an Oracle Rep, but does anyone have some
    idea of how much does it cost? I would like to have some idea before calling
    rep. I googled and it is difficult to find some dollar figure.

    If anyone has purchased it, what kind of price range did you pay?

    Thanks.

    Guang
  • Spears, Brian at Nov 22, 2004 at 10:00 am
    Well, I see it as several levels of testing.

    Virtual restore test which I do after every backup
    One time initial installation test restore of live DB to make your setup
    is ok
    Periodic (some do daily) restore of backup to another server using the
    clone procedure
    (If this opens then you have some confidence the backup parts are
    there)
    Testing your DBA's knowledge of restores with practice restores. With
    all the type of Restores you
    advertize you will do for the SLA.
    Usually once clone is built ..run some all encompassing mega report to
    show the numbers line up
    One in a blue moon Have the key users verify your clone of the database
    with their test and sign
    off it.
    Some people which some of us have done...is have 6month disaster type
    recover pull plug test.

    Typically many shops will just automate the cloning procedure and get
    warning bells when this doesn't work. I personally
    Like a clone built from the backup daily- it has served me well. On your
    clone you might check for unrecoverable stuff do to nologging and so on.

    That's all Folks,
    Brian

[...]

  • Mercadante, Thomas F at Nov 22, 2004 at 10:09 am
    Dennis,

    That's a good start.

    Here's something else to consider.

    In the past, I've had recoveries fail that depended on the size of the
    database file. It recovered fine for a file up to a certain size. Anything
    larger and it failed. If I remember correctly, it was more of a hardware
    problem than software.

    But I would only consider a recovery successful if you performed a full
    recovery of your production database. Otherwise, you are just whistling in
    the dark - you never really know if it's going to work until it *has* to.

    Just my little 2 cents.

    Hope it helps.

    Tom

[...]

  • Carel-Jan Engel at Nov 22, 2004 at 1:36 pm
    Hey, that's the right approach. If you don't trust your backup for a
    test-recovery, performed on the live system, why do you trust it at all?
    But I would only consider a recovery successful if you performed a full
    recovery of your production database. Otherwise, you are just whistling in
    the dark - you never really know if it's going to work until it *has* to.
    Best regards,

    Carel-Jan Engel

    ===
    ===
  • Stephens, Chris at Nov 22, 2004 at 10:15 am
    not sure i understand exactly what you mean.

    we run our RMAN backup script. delete a datafile(s) and restore/recover

    When you say lost datafile and other files, do you mean completely lost
    or did you have backup copies?

    "Stephens, Chris" wrote:

    We always tested:

    Lost datafile
    Lost system datafile
    Lost control file
    Lost all control files
    Lost pfile,spfile

    =20

[...]

  • Alex at Nov 22, 2004 at 10:22 am
    got it. you physically deleted the files from the OS and restored them. do you validate you backups periodically?
    "Stephens, Chris" wrote:not sure i understand exactly what you mean.

    we run our RMAN backup script. delete a datafile(s) and restore/recover

    When you say lost datafile and other files, do you mean completely lost or did you have backup copies?

    "Stephens, Chris" wrote:
    We always tested:

    Lost datafile
    Lost system datafile
    Lost control file
    Lost all control files
    Lost pfile,spfile

    =20

[...]

    Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today!

  • Stephens, Chris at Nov 22, 2004 at 11:33 am
    i have a script (basically taken from 'mastering pl/sql') that runs
    against the rman views in each database via database links from out
    'management database' to verify the backups completed sucessfully.

    ...i do periodically validate them though. probably a couple times a
    month.

    When you say lost datafile and other files, do you mean

    completely lost or did you have backup copies?

    "Stephens, Chris" wrote:

    We always tested:

    Lost datafile
    Lost system datafile
    Lost control file
    Lost all control files
    Lost pfile,spfile

    =20

[...]

  • Hallas, John, Tech Dev at Nov 23, 2004 at 12:31 pm
    After every RMAN backup has completed we have a script that recovers a =
    controlfile to /tmp.

    That seems to provide a good degree of certainty that the files have =
    been written to tape in the first place.

    John

    When you say lost datafile and other files, do you mean
    completely lost or did you have backup copies?

    "Stephens, Chris" wrote:

    We always tested:
    =09
    Lost datafile
    Lost system datafile
    Lost control file
    Lost all control files
    Lost pfile,spfile
    =09
    =3D20
    =09
[...]

  • Alexander Gorbachev at Nov 23, 2004 at 5:13 pm
    Dennis,

    We test backups of every of our databases restoring it on test systems
    (another boxes). Every database is restored to at least one new
    instance (up to 3 for some weeks). It proves that our backups are ok
    and gives us refreshes of test systems. Sometimes we even restore from
    backup and roll forward more that 24 hours. This proves that we are
    able to recover even if we have problem with latest backup.

    HTH,

    Alex

    --
    Best regards,