Last night I decided that it is time to install FC3 on my system and remove
the aging RH-9.
First, the "upgrade" option doesn't work. I had to allow the installer to
run "mkfs". Fortunately for me,
I have backups, so no problems there. I had oracle 10.1.0.3.0 installed on
RH-9 and I was able to
start it right away. Even more, FC3 has async I/O and direct I/O built in
the kernel and I was
able to set filesystemio_options to "setall" and it worked like a charm. It
was a real deal, not just
the lack of complaint, because I did strace and I monitored FS buffers, the
numbers in use wasn't growing
as I was doing selects. Now,I only have to resolve an issue with NVIDIA
drivers. FC3 looks very, very good.
The FS that I use for database is JFS. The database looks and feels faster
on FC3 then it ever looked
on an ancient RH-9

--
Mladen Gogala
A & E TV Network

  • Mhthomas at Nov 17, 2004 at 12:36 pm
    Thanks for the posting. Good news.

    I need to check if FC3 includes LVM and the SELINUX security stuff.
    Off to play...

    Regards,

    Mike

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:26:46 -0500, Gogala, Mladen
[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedNov 17, '04 at 10:40a
activeNov 17, '04 at 12:36p