Hello Folks

I am trying to "update"/"change" the spfile with the edited init.ora
file under pfile in admin.

I start the database startup mount;

Then use the

CREATE SPFILE FROM PFILE='PATH\TO\INIT\PFILE\INIT.ORA';

But Oracle complains that the spfile is already in use.

Must I use a different name ie change the name of spfile? OR can I
update/alter spfile?

OR is there something with the method?

TIA

Denham

Search Discussions

  • David Sharples at Nov 11, 2004 at 3:38 am
    If you already have an spfile you cant create another one.

    You can delete the old one of you wish and re-create it like that.

    If you didnt know you can change any parameters with alter system set
    = scope = spfile;

    Dont have to keep creating a new one
    I am trying to "update"/"change" the spfile with the edited init.ora
    file under pfile in admin.

    I start the database startup mount;

    Then use the

    CREATE SPFILE FROM PFILE='PATH\TO\INIT\PFILE\INIT.ORA';
    But Oracle complains that the spfile is already in use.

    Must I use a different name ie change the name of spfile? OR can I
    update/alter spfile?

    OR is there something with the method?

    TIA
    Denham

  • Leonard, George at Nov 11, 2004 at 4:03 am
    Hi

    You can create a spfile even if it already exist, the problem is the
    database is probably started using that file at the moment so the file
    is locked.

    To re-create over the same file the database needs to be shut down,
    otherwise to make changes use the alter system command.

    George

    =20________________________________________________

    George Leonard
    Oracle Database Administrator
    New Dawn Technologies @ Wesbank
    E-mail:gleonard_at_wesbank.co.za
    =20
    You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a
    Person
    You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
    Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
    Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!
    =20

    If you already have an spfile you cant create another one.

    You can delete the old one of you wish and re-create it like that.

    If you didnt know you can change any parameters with alter system set
    =3D scope =3D spfile;

    Dont have to keep creating a new one
    I am trying to "update"/"change" the spfile with the edited init.ora
    file under pfile in admin.
    =20
    I start the database startup mount;
    =20
    Then use the
    =20
    CREATE SPFILE FROM PFILE=3D'PATH\TO\INIT\PFILE\INIT.ORA';
    =20
    But Oracle complains that the spfile is already in use.
    =20
    Must I use a different name ie change the name of spfile? OR can I
    update/alter spfile?
    =20
    OR is there something with the method?
    =20
    TIA
    =20
    Denham
    =20
    __________________________

    The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of =
    the author and not those
    of the FirstRand Banking Group an Authorised Financial Service Provider o=
    r its management.
    The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for=
    =20the addressee.
    Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
    If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribut=
    ion or any action taken or=20
    omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
    Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrit=
    y of information and data=20
    transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, n=
    o liability or=20
    responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or data is, for what=
    ever reason, corrupted=20
    or does not reach its intended destination.

    =20 ________________________________
  • Guang Mei at Nov 11, 2004 at 10:24 am
    I think Oracle uses spfile as default when the instance starts. You could
    probably do something like

    Shutdown DB
    Move the spfile to another temp directory
    Edit your "init.ora"
    Start DB (which will use init.ora)
    run CREATE SPFILE FROM PFILE.. command
    Shutdown DB
    Start DB again (this time it will use spfile by default)

    But my question is why going through this process? I am not using spfile for
    my 9i DB. I am still using init.ora text file and it works fine.

    Hope this helps.

    Guang

    I am trying to "update"/"change" the spfile with the edited init.ora
    file under pfile in admin.

    I start the database startup mount;

    Then use the

    CREATE SPFILE FROM PFILE='PATH\TO\INIT\PFILE\INIT.ORA';

    But Oracle complains that the spfile is already in use.

    Must I use a different name ie change the name of spfile? OR can I
    update/alter spfile?

    OR is there something with the method?

    TIA

    Denham

  • Goulet, Dick at Nov 12, 2004 at 8:11 am
    Leonard is correct. Startup with "Startup pfile=3D''"
    then you can create the spfile & restart using that file.=20

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA
    Oracle Certified 8i DBA

    =3D20________________________________________________

    George Leonard
    Oracle Database Administrator
    New Dawn Technologies @ Wesbank
    E-mail:gleonard_at_wesbank.co.za
    =3D20
    You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a
    Person
    You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
    Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
    Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!
    =3D20

    If you already have an spfile you cant create another one.

    You can delete the old one of you wish and re-create it like that.

    If you didnt know you can change any parameters with alter system set
    =3D3D scope =3D3D spfile;

    Dont have to keep creating a new one
    I am trying to "update"/"change" the spfile with the edited init.ora
    file under pfile in admin.
    =3D20
    I start the database startup mount;
    =3D20
    Then use the
    =3D20
    CREATE SPFILE FROM PFILE=3D3D'PATH\TO\INIT\PFILE\INIT.ORA';
    =3D20
    But Oracle complains that the spfile is already in use.
    =3D20
    Must I use a different name ie change the name of spfile? OR can I
    update/alter spfile?
    =3D20
    OR is there something with the method?
    =3D20
    TIA
    =3D20
    Denham
    =3D20
    _=3D
    __________________________

    The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of
    =3D
    the author and not those
    of the FirstRand Banking Group an Authorised Financial Service Provider
    o=3D
    r its management.
    The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely
    for=3D
    =3D20the addressee.
    Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
    distribut=3D
    ion or any action taken or=3D20
    omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
    Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and
    integrit=3D
    y of information and data=3D20
    transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof,
    n=3D
    o liability or=3D20
    responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or data is, for
    what=3D
    ever reason, corrupted=3D20
    or does not reach its intended destination.

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedNov 11, '04 at 3:35a
activeNov 12, '04 at 8:11a