Hi guys
I have doubt in backup sceneries

For example I have lost my control file,and some of the datafiles and all Redo logs.
So I restored control file from last backup and
data files from inconsistent backups and
Redo from some other backups

Now how control file will identify upto which SCN it has to
perform recovery,since all the SCN are different in datafiles
and Redo also is old.

Thanks is advance
Syed

Search Discussions

  • Jared Still at Nov 8, 2004 at 11:18 pm
    that would be:
    recover database until cancel using backup controlfile;

    Note that it is possible to rearrange this syntax to say something like

    recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;
    ... which will not work. At least not the way you expect.

    The Velpuri book has still not outlived its usefulness. :)

    Jared
    For example I have lost my control file,and some of the datafiles and all Redo logs.
    So I restored control file from last backup and
    data files from inconsistent backups and
    Redo from some other backups

    Now how control file will identify upto which SCN it has to
    perform recovery,since all the SCN are different in datafiles
    and Redo also is old.

    Thanks is advance
    Syed

    Jared Still
  • Sultan Syed at Nov 8, 2004 at 11:57 pm
    Thanks Jared

    recover database until cancel using backup controlfile;

    Note that it is possible to rearrange this syntax to say something like

    recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;
    ... which will not work. At least not the way you expect.

    The Velpuri book has still not outlived its usefulness. :)

    Jared
    For example I have lost my control file,and some of the datafiles and all
    Redo logs.
    So I restored control file from last backup and
    data files from inconsistent backups and
    Redo from some other backups

    Now how control file will identify upto which SCN it has to
    perform recovery,since all the SCN are different in datafiles
    and Redo also is old.

    Thanks is advance
    Syed

    Jared Still

  • Rich Holland at Nov 26, 2004 at 2:34 pm
    Sorry to reply to an old post, but I stumbled on this at one point as well.
    What does the re-arranged syntax do exactly (i.e. I expect it to do the same
    thing as the correct syntax, and think I even came across it in an RMAN manual
    somewhere in the re-arranged fashion). It was just blind luck that I re-typed
    it "wrong" and got it to work...

    I don't have a copy of the Velpuri book unfortunately. :(

    Thanks,
    Rich

    --
    Rich Holland (913) 645-1950 SAP Technical Consultant
    print unpack("u","92G5S\=\"!A;F]T:&5R(\'!E -----Original Message-----
    recover database until cancel using backup controlfile;

    Note that it is possible to rearrange this syntax to say something like
    recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;
    ... which will not work. At least not the way you expect.

    The Velpuri book has still not outlived its usefulness. :)

    Jared
  • Alexander Gorbachev at Nov 27, 2004 at 12:22 pm
    Rich,

    If I remember correctly, it just complains about wrong syntax in case
    you re-arrange it.

    --
    Best regards,
    Alex Gorbachev

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:36:41 -0500, Rich Holland
    Sorry to reply to an old post, but I stumbled on this at one point as well.
    What does the re-arranged syntax do exactly (i.e. I expect it to do the same
    thing as the correct syntax, and think I even came across it in an RMAN manual
    somewhere in the re-arranged fashion). It was just blind luck that I re-typed
    it "wrong" and got it to work...

    Thanks,
    Rich
    that would be:
    recover database until cancel using backup controlfile;

    Note that it is possible to rearrange this syntax to say something like
    recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;
    ... which will not work. At least not the way you expect.
  • Jared Still at Nov 27, 2004 at 9:12 pm
    No, it doesn't complain about this syntax, which is the problem.

    If you want to know exactly what the difference is, you need
    to try it yourself, as I don't recall.

    Jared

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:26:09 +0100, Alexander Gorbachev
[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedNov 8, '04 at 10:57p
activeNov 27, '04 at 9:12p