Hi list,
I am new person in this list and need help on search capabilities usage of
http://www.freelists.org.
I wouldn�t like bore list with duplicated questions, it can be achieved by
effectively using search.

My question is - how to find exact phase in ORACLE-L archives?
For example I would like to find all posts contained phase �FOR UPDATE�.

I have tried to use search windows at
http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/
I have tried:
�FOR UPDATE�

�FOR UPDATE�

doesn�t work.

I have tried to search trough HELP pages
http://www.freelists.org/help/index.html
without any success to find Help for searching.

I missed something definitely.
Please help me and I will not bore list with already asked questions.

Thanks in advance,
Jurijs
+371 9268222 (+2 GMT)

Thank you for teaching me.
http://otn.oracle.com/ocm/jvelikanovs.html

Search Discussions

  • Bricklen Anderson at Oct 8, 2004 at 9:37 am

    J.Velikanovs_at_alise.lv wrote:
[...]

    I'm going to be of any help there, but have you tried googling with:

    "for update" site:www.freelists.org

    I have no idea if that will help you get what you are looking for, though.
  • J.Velikanovs_at_alise.lv at Oct 10, 2004 at 6:37 am
    I have received few answers to my question.
    Thank you to Bricklen, Tanel and Edgar.
    Looks like the best/only way to search through ORACLE-L archives is
    googling.

    Search for my example can be:
    oracle-l "for update" site:www.freelists.org

    http://www.google.lv/search?as_q=oracle-l&num=100&hl=lv&btnG=Google+mekl%C4%93%C5%A1ana&as_epq=for+update&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=www.freelists.org

    Question is how good is google indexes and how often goggle updates them.
    It can be suitable solution for searching through ORACLE-L anyway.

    One more useful comment: Do not forget that before www.freelists.org
    ORACLE-L has been located on fatcity.com.

    Jurijs
[...]

  • J.Velikanovs_at_alise.lv at Oct 10, 2004 at 2:42 pm
    Hi All,
    Take a look on the testcase below.
    Couple of things seems strange to me in this testcase:
    1. Step Nr. 5. Why Oracle can’t use already created copy of the block
    during step Nr.4?
    2. Step Nr. 4. Why there “52 redo size” during the CR?
    Anybody have idea?

    Jurijs

    Test case

    Tested on 9.2.0.4/5 Win32/Linux

    1
    Make test
    drop table testcr;
    create table testcr (n number) tablespace users;
    insert into testcr values (1);
    commit;

    2
    So far so good
    DROPME:jozh> set autotrace on stat
    DROPME:jozh> select * from testcr;

    1

    Statistics

    7 consistent gets
    0 redo size

    3
    In parallel session run
    begin for f in 1..10000 loop
    update testcr set n=f;
    end loop;
    end;
    /

    4
    -- “10008 consistent gets” understandable. Session create copy of the
    block and apply UNDO 10000 times.
    DROPME:jozh> select * from testcr;

    1

    Statistics

    10008 consistent gets
    52 redo size

    5
    -- “10008 consistent gets” Seams very strange for me. There copy of the
    block already.
    DROPME:jozh> select * from testcr;

    1

    Statistics

    10008 consistent gets
    52 redo size

    6
    In parallel session run
    commit;

    7
    It’s OK.
    DROPME:jozh> select * from testcr;

    10000

    Statistics

    7 consistent gets
    0 redo size
  • J.Velikanovs_at_alise.lv at Oct 10, 2004 at 2:53 pm
    The same testcase except “set transaction read only”
    1. Step Nr. 5. Why Oracle can’t use already created copy of the block
    during step Nr.4?
    Oracle use already created copy of the block.
    2. Step Nr. 4. Why there “52 redo size” during the CR?
    Nothing is like in first test here.

    Test case

    2
    DROPME:jozh> set transaction read only;

    Transaction set.

    DROPME:jozh> select * from testcr;

    10000

    Statistics

    7 consistent gets
    0 redo size

    4
    DROPME:jozh> /

    10000

    Statistics

    10002 consistent gets
    0 redo size

    5
    DROPME:jozh> /

    10000

    Statistics

    7 consistent gets
    0 redo size
    Couple of things seems strange to me in this testcase:
    1. Step Nr. 5. Why Oracle can’t use already created copy of the block
    during step Nr.4?
    2. Step Nr. 4. Why there “52 redo size” during the CR?
    Anybody have idea?

    Jurijs

    ===================================
    Test case
    ===================================
    Tested on 9.2.0.4/5 Win32/Linux

    --- 1
    --- Make test
    drop table testcr;
    create table testcr (n number) tablespace users;
    insert into testcr values (1);
    commit;

    --- 2
    --- So far so good

[...]