Hello all,

while doing recovery on a test database we issue "recover database
using backup controlfile "

and Oracle responds with "ORA-00279: change 79332404433 generated at
09/08/2004 04:32:03 needed for thread 2 "
From the rawfiles only, oracle seems to know that 79332404433 is the
scn it is looking for=E2=80=A6 since we've recreated the cntrl files, I kno=
it isn't stored there..

Where would I find change# 79332404433 ?? I have tried dumping
coltrolfile (on the main db) and tried to convert eh SCN, there are
some close, but none that matches this number.

We generally clone a db, by taking hot backup, create backup control
file and then recover.

any ideas?
Raj

  • Gogala, Mladen at Sep 9, 2004 at 11:01 am
    That change can probably be found in one of rhe redo log archives.
    There is a table called V$ARCHIVED_LOG which has columns FIRST_CHANGE
    and NEXT_CHANGE describing change numbers. You might want to take a peek
    in the reference manual for more.

    --
    Mladen Gogala
    A & E TV Network
    Where would I find change# 79332404433 ?? I have tried
    dumping coltrolfile (on the main db) and tried to convert eh
    SCN, there are some close, but none that matches this number.

    We generally clone a db, by taking hot backup, create backup
    control file and then recover.
  • Rjamya at Sep 9, 2004 at 11:33 am
    Thanks Mladen, been there looked up, but the numbers that I see are
    between first_change# and next_change# .

    The question is how does oracle find that this is the number that I
    need to start recovery from??

    Raj

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:05:53 -0400, Gogala, Mladen
    That change can probably be found in one of rhe redo log archives.
    There is a table called V$ARCHIVED_LOG which has columns FIRST_CHANGE
    and NEXT_CHANGE describing change numbers. You might want to take a peek
    in the reference manual for more.
  • Jeremiah Wilton at Sep 9, 2004 at 11:36 am

    The question is how does oracle find that this is the number that I
    need to start recovery from??
    From the file headers.
    v$recover_file

    --