We are looking at Quest's LiveReorg to determine whether we want to go that
route for online reorgs or not. Has anyone else out there thought through
some of these issues? Trying to decide if it's worth the dollars or if
Oracle 9i will fit the bill. Quest gives you the nice front end to review
and build your jobs, but is that enough to pay for? I'm not finding a whole
lot of difference out there. Looks like the functionality is pretty
similar.
Pros/cons for either method (other than the $)?

Thanks for your help.

Durinda Jones
Yellow Technologies

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Search Discussions

  • Cary Millsap at Aug 25, 2004 at 3:58 pm
    It's my turn today:

    Do you have compelling evidence in favor of the notion that performing
    Oracle reorgs will actually help your business?

    Cary Millsap
    Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
    http://www.hotsos.com
    * Nullius in verba *

    Upcoming events:
    - Performance Diagnosis 101: 9/14 San Francisco, 10/5 Charlotte, 10/26
    Toronto
    - SQL Optimization 101: 8/16 Minneapolis, 9/20 Hartford, 10/18 New =
    Orleans
    - Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas

    Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...

    We are looking at Quest's LiveReorg to determine whether we want to go =
    that
    route for online reorgs or not. Has anyone else out there thought =
    through
    some of these issues? Trying to decide if it's worth the dollars or if
    Oracle 9i will fit the bill. Quest gives you the nice front end to =
    review
    and build your jobs, but is that enough to pay for? I'm not finding a =
    whole
    lot of difference out there. Looks like the functionality is pretty
    similar.
    Pros/cons for either method (other than the $)?

    Thanks for your help.

    Durinda Jones
    Yellow Technologies

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Mogens Nørgaard at Aug 25, 2004 at 4:37 pm
    We don't use reorgs in Denmark. Just because somebody has a nice front
    and end you don't have to buy him/her. Save your IO's for later.

    Durinda.Jones wrote:
    We are looking at Quest's LiveReorg to determine whether we want to go that
    route for online reorgs or not. Has anyone else out there thought through
    some of these issues? Trying to decide if it's worth the dollars or if
    Oracle 9i will fit the bill. Quest gives you the nice front end to review
    and build your jobs, but is that enough to pay for? I'm not finding a whole
    lot of difference out there. Looks like the functionality is pretty
    similar.
    Pros/cons for either method (other than the $)?

    Thanks for your help.

    Durinda Jones
    Yellow Technologies

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Vergara, Michael (TEM) at Aug 25, 2004 at 9:41 pm
    It helps us!

    We use LiveReorg on our SAP system. We have an active archival/delete
    process that purges older data. By reorging we recover space that
    we can redeploy, and index reorgs regain space and speed.

    Not all of our databases do reorgs; not many of them need to. However,
    it continues to make sense for this application, so we keep doing
    it.

    That's m'story and ah'm stickin' to it!

    Cheers,
    Mike

    Do you have compelling evidence in favor of the notion that performing
    Oracle reorgs will actually help your business?

    Cary Millsap
    Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
    http://www.hotsos.com
    * Nullius in verba *

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Jared.Still_at_radisys.com at Aug 26, 2004 at 12:15 pm

    It helps us!

    We use LiveReorg on our SAP system. We have an active archival/delete
    process that purges older data. By reorging we recover space that
    we can redeploy, and index reorgs regain space and speed.
    Which brings up another question: Why are you archiving data?

    Jared

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Bill thater at Aug 26, 2004 at 7:09 am

    It's my turn today:

    Do you have compelling evidence in favor of the notion that performing
    Oracle reorgs will actually help your business?
    that depends on how many versions back you'll accept answers for.;-)

    --
    Bill "Shrek" Thater ORACLE DBA
    shrek_at_consulant.com

    I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine (Song of
    Solomon 6:3)

  • Vergara, Michael (TEM) at Aug 26, 2004 at 1:17 pm
    Jared:

    To keep response times down where the users like it. Despite
    the best efforts of the DBA and ABAP groups, many of
    SAP's queries end up doing FTSs, and an FTS on our largest
    table (40+GB) takes too long for the users.

    SAP's archiving strategy actually does not remove the data
    from user accessibility. Archived data is stored in a large
    flat file of proprietary design, and can be stored on slow
    JBoD or DVD storage. Users understand that access to data=20
    that's over two or three years old (depends on the data)
    will be slow, and they can accept that. Everything else
    is now! now! now!

    Cheers,
    Mike