Dear All,

We are having Oracle 8.1.6 Under HP UX 11.0. We are going to migrate Oracle
8.1.6 into Oracle 10g under Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 3.0 (64 Bit Standard
Edition).

Please give some useful tips for the above project.

Thanks and Regards,
Balu.
This mail is scaned by eScan Anti Virus Software

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Search Discussions

  • J.Velikanovs_at_alise.lv at Aug 4, 2004 at 4:32 am
    Are you sure you wona 64 Bit Linux?
    I haven’t experience on Itanium platform, but heard that peoples have a
    lot of troubles to get working Oracle RDBMS on it.
    May be some in the list have comments on this.
    Personally I would choose 32 Bit platform.

    Jurijs
    +371 9268222 (+2 GMT)

    Thank you for teaching me.
    http://otn.oracle.com/ocm/jvelikanovs.html

    Computer Centre - NIIPL
    04.08.2004 08:58
    Please respond to oracle-l

    cc:
    Subject: Oracle 10g

    Dear All,

    We are having Oracle 8.1.6 Under HP UX 11.0. We are going to migrate
    Oracle
    8.1.6 into Oracle 10g under Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 3.0 (64 Bit
    Standard
    Edition).

    Please give some useful tips for the above project.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Balu.
    This mail is scaned by eScan Anti Virus Software

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
  • Paul Drake at Aug 4, 2004 at 9:07 am
    Computer Centre - NIIPL
    wrote:
    Dear All,

    We are having Oracle 8.1.6 Under HP UX 11.0. We are
    going to migrate Oracle
    8.1.6 into Oracle 10g under Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    AS 3.0 (64 Bit Standard
    Edition).

    Please give some useful tips for the above project.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Balu.
    Migration guide for 10g up on OTN.
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/database10g.html

    unfortunately, the 10g library is throwing a 404
    currently. you may as well download the entire set.
    If you're going to take more than a month or so to
    plan this, you might as well upgrade to 8.1.7 first.
    I can't recall if one can migrate from 8.1.6 to 10g,
    its been several years since I used 8.1.6.

    A test restore/recovery of a backup set, such as a
    cloning for a practice migration test would be an
    excellent idea.

    Pd

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Lex de Haan at Aug 4, 2004 at 9:14 am
    you can only migrate existing databases to 10g
    from four "final" releases (which is not bad at all, I would say)
    so the choice is indeed to upgrade to 8.1.7.4 first, and then to migrate to
    10g;
    or to forget about migrating ...
    Kind regards,
    Lex.

    visit my website at http://www.naturaljoin.nl

    If you're going to take more than a month or so to
    plan this, you might as well upgrade to 8.1.7 first.
    I can't recall if one can migrate from 8.1.6 to 10g,
    its been several years since I used 8.1.6.

    Binary/unsupported file stripped by Ecartis --
    Type: text/x-vcard
    File: Lex de Haan.vcf

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
  • Joe Cooper at Aug 5, 2004 at 12:05 am
    Not entirely true. At least on Solaris 8, we were able to successfully migrate directly from 8.1.7.0 to 10g (10.1.0.2). I don't have the docs with me, but I'm fairly certain that anything lower (i.e. 8.1.6) would require an interim migration step.

    HTH

    Joe Cooper
    Senior Oracle DBA
    Highline Data
    (A division of Highline Media)
    Austin, TX
    Lex de Haan wrote:
    you can only migrate existing databases to 10g
    from four "final" releases (which is not bad at all, I would say)
    so the choice is indeed to upgrade to 8.1.7.4 first, and then to migrate to
    10g;
    or to forget about migrating ...
    Kind regards,
    Lex.

    visit my website at http://www.naturaljoin.nl

    If you're going to take more than a month or so to
    plan this, you might as well upgrade to 8.1.7 first.
    I can't recall if one can migrate from 8.1.6 to 10g,
    its been several years since I used 8.1.6.

    Binary/unsupported file stripped by Ecartis --
    Type: text/x-vcard
    File: Lex de Haan.vcf

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
  • Ron Rogers at Aug 4, 2004 at 9:36 am
    Check out the OTN site for the 10g software. I signed up for the free
    software
    and received the complete 10g CD-ROM set. I also received the 10g
    CD-ROM and dvd
    set in the mail.
    The mailing has the complete 10g library on it. No more searching and
    downloading.

    It doesn't hurt to sign up for what ever you think you might need some
    day especially
    if it's free.
    Ron
    discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com 08/04/2004 10:11:31 AM >>>
    Computer Centre - NIIPL
    wrote:
[...]

  • Tony Johnson at Aug 4, 2004 at 11:32 am
    I have seen reference to the CD sets but I have been unable to find
    where on OTN you can order them. Little help here please. Thanks !=20

    Check out the OTN site for the 10g software. I signed up for the free
    software and received the complete 10g CD-ROM set. I also received the
    10g CD-ROM and dvd set in the mail.
    The mailing has the complete 10g library on it. No more searching and
    downloading.

    It doesn't hurt to sign up for what ever you think you might need some
    day especially if it's free.
    Ron
    discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com 08/04/2004 10:11:31 AM >>>
    Computer Centre - NIIPL
    wrote:
    Dear All,
    =20
    We are having Oracle 8.1.6 Under HP UX 11.0. We are going to migrate=20
    Oracle
    8.1.6 into Oracle 10g under Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 3.0 (64 Bit=20
    Standard Edition).
    =20
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/database10g.html=20

    unfortunately, the 10g library is throwing a 404 currently. you may as
    well download the entire set.
    If you're going to take more than a month or so to plan this, you might
    as well upgrade to 8.1.7 first.
    I can't recall if one can migrate from 8.1.6 to 10g, its been several
    years since I used 8.1.6.

    A test restore/recovery of a backup set, such as a cloning for a
    practice migration test would be an excellent idea.

    Pd

    To unsubscribe send email to: oracle-l-request_at_freelists.org put
    'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Ron Rogers at Aug 4, 2004 at 12:10 pm
    Martin,
    I don't remember when I requested it but last wee I received the
    Java Linux Developer CD-ROM pack for 10g and yesterday I
    received the CR-ROM and dvd 10g pack in the mail.
    Now I need to get the password to install the software.
    I guess this is just another tracking method. The doculents
    have a complete section on the OEM licensing that explains
    it very well what is required to use the new features of the database.

    I get a lot of mailings that offer free software so I sign up a lot.
    If you are a Metalink member you can log an ITAR and request
    that the CDROM packs be sent to you too.
    Ron
    martinfbrown_at_hotmail.com 08/04/2004 11:56:43 AM >>>
    Sounds like you've already got it? I asked for it yesterday and the
    dialog
    page says to expect it in 4 to 6 weeks. How did you get it so fast?

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Ron Rogers at Aug 4, 2004 at 12:28 pm
    Tony,
    Tony_Johnson_at_Trimble.com 08/04/2004 12:36:28 PM >>>

    wrote:
[...]

  • Rob zijlstra at Aug 4, 2004 at 1:32 pm
    Ron,

    Then we got the famous blanc screen. Is this offer only for US customers
    perhaps?

    Rob Zijlstra

    wrote:
[...]

  • Rachel Carmichael at Aug 4, 2004 at 1:37 pm
    I'm in the US and I'm getting the blank screen as well.

    So it's not that. I've also tried 3 different browsers on the off
    chance that the browser I was using (Firefox) was the problem. It's
    not.

    Rachel

    rob zijlstra wrote:
    Ron,

    Then we got the famous blanc screen. Is this offer only for US
    customers
    perhaps?

    Rob Zijlstra

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Michael Thomas at Aug 4, 2004 at 7:59 pm
    Hi,

    Failed, too. Just for fun I googled the following
    line:
    "+www.oracle.+com/start" keyword

    Got a bunch of other keywords which I tested and also
    failed. Everyone likes free stuff. :-)

    Regards,

    Mike Thomas

    Rachel Carmichael wrote:
    I'm in the US and I'm getting the blank screen as
    well.

    Do you Yahoo!?
    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Duret, Kathy at Aug 5, 2004 at 8:12 am
    I tried off and all all day and finally got beyond the white screen and was
    able to order mine.

    My guess is that it is busy and you just got to keep trying

    Or as Dory would say... just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

    Kathy
    Seen finding nemo one tooooo many times

    This transmission contains information solely for intended recipient and may
    be privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protect from disclosure. If
    you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all
    copies of this transmission. This message and/or the materials contained
    herein are not an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy, any
    securities or other instruments. The information has been obtained or
    derived from sources believed by us to be reliable, but we do not represent
    that it is accurate or complete. Any opinions or estimates contained in
    this information constitute our judgment as of this date and are subject to
    change without notice. Any information you share with us will be used in
    the operation of our business, and we do not request and do not want any
    material, nonpublic information. Absent an express prior written agreement,
    we are not agreeing to treat any information confidentially and will use any
    and all information and reserve the right to publish or disclose any
    information you share with us.

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle