As I'm (finally) skimming the July/August OraMag, featuring The List's very own April Wells, I spy an Oracle ad touting 1.18M tpmC on Oracle and RHAS3 Linux. When I looked at the hardware ( http://www.tpc.org/results/individual_results/HP/HP%20Integrity%20rx5670%20Cluster%2064P_ES.pdf), I thought it was funny that for 93+TB of disk on the server cluster, they have a single 20/40GB DAT drive.
Doing some quick assumptions (all RAID10, HDs 50% full, tape compression 50%) and math, that's about 23TB of data to be backed up onto 690 DAT tapes. At about 3MB/second transfer rates and tape swapping, that's about 3 months to do one backup. And I have no idea what you do if you need a restore at day 70 of the backup...

All this can be yours for the low low price of $6.5M!

And upon further inspection of the Full Discloser, all SAN sets are RAID0 and the data took up 70TB, so let's push that backup figure back to 6 months.

At least they were able to keep the cluster up more than 15 minutes at a time, unlike Microsoft...

Ah well, it's nice that Oracle's on top again, I suppose. :)

Rich

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Search Discussions

  • Tanel Põder at Aug 3, 2004 at 1:30 pm
    Doing some quick assumptions (all RAID10, HDs 50% full, tape compression
    50%) and math, that's about 23TB of data to be backed up onto 690 DAT tapes.
    At about 3MB/second transfer rates and tape swapping, that's about 3 months
    to do one backup. And I have no idea what you do if you need a restore at
    day 70 of the backup...

    Btw, the database size is quite tiny compared to the total disk space. They
    just have that many disks for having more spindles to get the IOPS
    required...

    Tanel.

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.