Hi All...heckuva thing to be working on a long holiday
weekend...but what the heck. Got a question for=20
everybody. How can I rename a tablespace? Is it
even possible? There's nothing in the Oracle Docs
about it, and I haven't yet checked Ask Tom, but I
thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of the group.

I need to change a tablespace's name and keep the contents
intact, and under the same ownership. Any ideas?

Help!

...and Thanks!

Mike

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Search Discussions

  • Lyubomir Petrov at Jul 3, 2004 at 2:50 am
    Mike,

    Oracle 10g:
    alter tablespace X rename to Y;

    Before Oracle 10g:

    - create tablespace Y
    - move objects from tablespace X to tablespace Y
    - drop tablespace X

    Regards,
    Lyubomir Petrov

    Vergara, Michael (TEM) wrote:
    Hi All...heckuva thing to be working on a long holiday
    weekend...but what the heck. Got a question for=20
    everybody. How can I rename a tablespace? Is it
    even possible? There's nothing in the Oracle Docs
    about it, and I haven't yet checked Ask Tom, but I
    thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of the group.

    I need to change a tablespace's name and keep the contents
    intact, and under the same ownership. Any ideas?

    Help!

    ...and Thanks!

    Mike

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Jared Still at Jul 3, 2004 at 12:48 pm

    Hi All...heckuva thing to be working on a long holiday
    weekend...but what the heck. Got a question for=20
    everybody. How can I rename a tablespace? Is it
    even possible? There's nothing in the Oracle Docs
    about it, and I haven't yet checked Ask Tom, but I
    thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of the group.
    Prior to 10g you can alter the internal tables.
    Be forewarned that this is definitely not supported
    by OWW support, and if you do so, you are on your own.

    I believe however that Raj at ESPN does this on a
    regular basis.

    Jared

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.