Good morning everyone,

Recently I installed the Oracle 9.2.0.5 patch on a Windows server. This
patch requires Oracle Universal Installer version 10.1.0.2. When installing
this version of OUI, rather than remaining an "Independent Product" as it
has been for 8i and 9i (until this patch), it is asking for an Oracle Home
in which to install. I went ahead and installed OUI 10 in its own Oracle
Home, and the old version of OUI that was already installed on the server
remained in its original location. When I ran OUI 10 (and verified that I
was doing so by clicking on "About") and attempted to install the 9.2.0.5
patch, it said I was using the wrong version of the installer! I uninstalled
the old version of the Installer and tried again. Same result! I uninstalled
OUI 10 and re-installed it in the 9i Oracle Home where the database is
located. Lo and behold, the patch application worked!

Why in the world does OUI ask for an Oracle Home now? I don't see the logic.
All I see now is confusion because I don't know where to install OUI or
which version of OUI is running, even when I click on "About".

Aaron Sentell
Database Administrator
City of Tempe, Arizona

Office: (480) 350-8468
Pager: TempeDBA_at_vtext.com

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Sentell, Aaron at Jun 9, 2004 at 1:08 pm
    I guess I should explain where I wanted to go with this. Does anybody out
    there understand the new architecture for OUI 10? Should it be installed in
    its own Oracle Home? Must it be installed in the Oracle Home of the database
    you are wanting to patch? And other questions of this nature.

    If anybody has any knowledge about it or knows where I can read about it
    further, I'd be curious to know.

    Thanks,
    Aaron

[...]

  • Vergara, Michael (TEM) at Jun 9, 2004 at 1:28 pm
    Hmmm...let me add to this one. The first time I tried to install
    the installer, I gave it the installed ORACLE_HOME. It whined and
    said it wanted an empty directory. So I changed and gave it a new
    ORACLE_HOME. Then, (this is important) using the same oraInstaller
    from the patch, when I tried to load the 9.2.0.5 patch it whined and
    said the new Installer was not installed. So I started the installer
    I had just installed (I thought). I got the same message as below
    - the 9.2.0.5 patch barked before it even got started and said I was
    running the wrong version of the installer.

    I gave up. I installed the new oraInstaller in the existing ORACLE_HOME,
    and clicked OK when it whined about the directory not being empty.
    Then when the installer exits, I go to $ORACLE_HOME/bin and remove the
    link to the old runInstaller, and re-create it pointing to the
    $ORACLE_HOME/oui/bin/runInstaller.sh file.

    Now it works. I searched high and low for any documentation about this
    new installer. If it's out there, I could not find it.

    Cheers,
    Mike

[...]

  • Ron Rogers at Jun 9, 2004 at 1:48 pm
    Aaron,
    This info is for a RedHat server but might give you some insite on
    where to look for the installer info you need.
    I think that it is included in the patch readme file or install steps
    but I might be in error.
    when I installed 9.2 and then the 9.2.0.5 patch the installer was
    placed in the $ORACLE_HOME/oui/bin.
    There is a runInstaller.sh that will (cd /home/oracle/9.2/oui/bin and
    ./runInstaller $* ) this is the 10g installer.
    There is another runInstaller located at $ORACLE_HOME/bin This is the
    9i installer.
    action taken:
    as oracle cd
    find . -name runInstaller
    results:
    ./9.2/oui/install/runInstaller 10g installer
    ./9.2/oui/install/runInstaller.sh
    ./9.2/oui/bin/runInstaller 10g installer
    ./9.2/oui/bin/runInstaller.sh
    ./9.2/bin/runInstaller 9i installer
    If and when I need to run the installer I cd to the ./9.2/oui/bin and
    then ./runInstaller to execute the 10g installer. If you are at
    $ORACLE_HOME and ./runInstaller it will execute the first it finds in
    the PATH.

    The patch info can be found in Metalink under patches database
    win 9.2.0.5 readme.
    You have to perform an install of the installer first and then execute
    the newly installed installer.
    Hope this helps,
    Ron
    aaron_sentell_at_tempe.gov 06/09/2004 2:11:40 PM >>>