We will be upgrading our operating system this weekend from 11 to 11i. We
have 3 9.2.0.4 and 1 8.1.7.2 databases on the machine. It is attached to a
SAN. The SA's are actually swapping out machines in the process too. I've
been assured that the mount points will be exactly the same and all
subsequent files/directories/binaries.

I've searched metalink and have found bits and pieces but nothing definitive
that addresses exactly what we are doing. I have also opened (another) tar
to get confirmation that what I plan to do will work. I was wondering if
anyone has done this and if there are any gotchas/comments.

I plan to shutdown everything. Let them do their thing. Log back on.
Relink 8i and 9i binaries. Start everything up. Run any loads/reports that
were scheduled during the down time. Go home. Make a drink and avoid
oracle-l like the plague so I don't post anymore obnoxious comments :-)

......for some reason, it seems too easy.

.....and I know, ..'test it first'...., but that is absolutely impossible.
.....it's a financial move (savings in the hardware/lease) that has to
happen this weekend and I have been told it's not an option to put this off.

Thanks for any comments!

Chris

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Vergara, Michael (TEM) at Jun 2, 2004 at 2:32 pm
    Chris:

    Make a backup
    Make another backup onto different media
    Make an exact map of your file locations. You can always
    fool Oracle with links if you hit a crunch.
    Backup your control files to trace; you might need them
    if you have to recover. Plus, you can use the scripts
    to change locations if (when?) then mount points don't
    match. Save these scripts to your PC or another server
    so you have them stashed.

    Everything else looks good. You definitely want to relink
    the binaries. Are there any application binaries that are
    on the system?

    Oooh! Oooh! One more thing...are you changing bitness of
    the O/S? If you're going from 32-bit to 64-bit you may have
    to be careful in the relink. If *should* work...but...

    And you're right. In theory, it's easy. If you've planned
    for as many issues as you can think of, then odds are you
    won't have any! If you're unprepared...well...the Gods
    love it when we get cocky!

    Good Luck!

    Mike

[...]

  • Chris Stephens at Jun 2, 2004 at 2:41 pm
    Oh yeah....we will DEFINITELY be taking a backup of the entire system while
    everything is down before anything is attempted. I suppose I should have
    listed that as a step :-)

    It's already 64bit.

    Thanks!!

    Make another backup onto different media

    Make an exact map of your file locations. You can always

    fool Oracle with links if you hit a crunch.

    4) Backup your control files to trace; you might need them