Hi all

I am planning to put a mini lab together using of the shelve equipment
(including ATA drives, since SCSI is to expensive).

Has anyone done this and what hardware configuration was used.

George
=20

=20
George Leonard
Oracle Database Administrator
Dimension Data (Pty) Ltd
(Reg. No. 1987/006597/07)
Tel: (+27 11) 575 0573
Fax: (+27 11) 576 0573
E-mail:george.leonard_at_za.didata.com
Web: http://www.didata.co.za
=20
You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a
Person
You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,=20
Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!
=20
=20

=93This e-mail is sent on the Terms and Conditions that can be accessed b=
y Clicking on this link http://www.vodacom.net/legal/email.asp "

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Grant Allen at May 26, 2004 at 1:37 am
    Check out the stuff on OTN about using shared firewire under linux for =
    the shared storage for RAC. There was also an article in Select Journal =
    from IOUG on this. A very, very cheap way to go RAC (reliability is =
    another issue, though).

    I'm in the process of building a 2-node linux RAC setup, and hardware =
    costs look to be about $250, for external FW drive caddy, ATA HDD, two =
    firewire cards, two firewire cables, and 4 Gigabit NICs (2 old machines =
    and ehternet cable I didn't have to pay for :-)).

    Ciao
    Fuzzy
    :-)

    "Everything you think, do, and say
    was in the pill you took today."

    Zager and Evans
    I am planning to put a mini lab together using of the shelve equipment
    (including ATA drives, since SCSI is to expensive).
    =20
    Has anyone done this and what hardware configuration was used.
    =20
    George
    =3D20
    =3D20
    George Leonard
    Oracle Database Administrator
    Dimension Data (Pty) Ltd
    (Reg. No. 1987/006597/07)
    Tel: (+27 11) 575 0573
    Fax: (+27 11) 576 0573
    E-mail:george.leonard_at_za.didata.com
    Web: http://www.didata.co.za
    =3D20
    You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a
    Person
    You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In=20
    Any Activity!
    Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,=3D20
    Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!
    =3D20
    =3D20
    =20
    =3D93This e-mail is sent on the Terms and Conditions that can=20
    be accessed b=3D
    y Clicking on this link http://www.vodacom.net/legal/email.asp "
  • George Leonard at May 26, 2004 at 1:41 am
    Hi there

    I am aware of the FireWire option and the USB 2 options, was wondering
    if there is a option to store the hard drives in a external shared
    storage like what you get with SCSI, not sure though if the ATA
    architecture allows this?

    Otherwise I will go USB or FireWire.