I have an odd TAR open with Oracle support. It will take a bit for me to set it up. Please let me know if you have run across it.

USER A owns Table A
USER B owns Table A

So we have two copies of the table. Same structure, different data. The synonym points to user A.

Our application uses the the table owned by user A, without a problem, we then drop the synonym and point it to USER B. We get an ORA-00600 error that is only logged in metalink two times.

Also, the ORA-600 error is not getting written to the alert log or generating a trace. We know about it, because our client(IIS, .Net middle tier) has exception handling that traps all errors, then writes the error, time stamp, and SQL to a table.

Oracle says this might be trapping the error before Oracle has a chance to pick it up. I cannot re-create with SQLPlus.

Anyone ever run into this? Sounds odd.

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Search Discussions

  • Khedr, Waleed at May 15, 2004 at 12:53 pm
    Did you try "create or replace synonym" instead of dropping it and =
    recreating it?

    Waleed

    I have an odd TAR open with Oracle support. It will take a bit for me to =
    set it up. Please let me know if you have run across it.

    USER A owns Table A
    USER B owns Table A

    So we have two copies of the table. Same structure, different data. The =
    synonym points to user A.=20

    Our application uses the the table owned by user A, without a problem, =
    we then drop the synonym and point it to USER B. We get an ORA-00600 =
    error that is only logged in metalink two times.

    Also, the ORA-600 error is not getting written to the alert log or =
    generating a trace. We know about it, because our client(IIS, .Net =
    middle tier) has exception handling that traps all errors, then writes =
    the error, time stamp, and SQL to a table.

    Oracle says this might be trapping the error before Oracle has a chance =
    to pick it up. I cannot re-create with SQLPlus.

    Anyone ever run into this? Sounds odd.=20

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
  • Jared Still at May 15, 2004 at 8:10 pm
    Ryan,

    You're missing a few things here, see
    comments inline.

    Jared
    I have an odd TAR open with Oracle support. It will take a bit for me to set it up. Please let me know if you have run across it.

    USER A owns Table A
    USER B owns Table A

    So we have two copies of the table. Same structure, different data. The synonym points to user A.
    Public synonym, or private?

    Version of Oracle?

    Platform? I do see that you are using IIS and .Net, but that
    doesn't necessarily mean that DB is on Windoze, if that is
    what we're meant to assume.
    Our application uses the the table owned by user A, without a problem, we then drop the synonym and point it to USER B. We get an ORA-00600 error that is only logged in metalink two times.

    Also, the ORA-600 error is not getting written to the alert log or generating a trace. We know about it, because our client(IIS, .Net middle tier) has exception handling that traps all errors, then writes the error, time stamp, and SQL to a table.
    ORA-600 arguments?
    Oracle says this might be trapping the error before Oracle has a chance to pick it up. I cannot re-create with SQLPlus.

    Anyone ever run into this? Sounds odd.
    Ensure that you're using the most recent version of ODBC.

    Are you using Oracle's ODBC, or Microsofts?

    Sorry, lotsa questions, not much help.

    Jared

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.