I am attempting to install the 9.2.0.5 patch on a Win2k system, and
am not meeting with much success.
Dell PowerEdge 2650
4 CPU

4 Gig RAM
Windows 2000 Server SP2
Oracle 9.2.0.3 installed
Veritas Cluster System 2.0

When starting setup.exe from 9.2.0.5, the CMD window opens and the usual
routine appears. The window disappears, but OUI never starts.

javaw.exe can be seen running via task manager, but it is not taking any
CPU time.

The instalActions.log file never has more than this in it:

Using paramFile:
E:\Oracle\patches\win32\rdbms\9205\Disk1\install\oraparam.ini

---
No pre-requisite checks found in oraparam.ini, no system pre-requisite
checks will be executed.
---

I'm getting the same results on 2 identically configured servers.

This same patch was installed on my Win2k SP4 laptop with no problems
whatsoever.

I've already searched MetaLink, and didn't find anything that would
appear to have any bearing on this problem.

Anyone else run into this yet?

Thanks,

Jared

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Kevin Lange at Apr 9, 2004 at 3:56 pm
    Sounds a lot like the issue I had when trying to install on any Pentium 4.
    Had to download the version of the installer that fixed this. Once I did,
    installs went smooth ... as long as I used this installer.

    This was back on 8.1.7.4 and I would have expexted them to have fixed this
    by your version .... but it just sounded familliar.

[...]

  • Paul Drake at Apr 9, 2004 at 6:51 pm

    Jared.Still_at_radisys.com wrote:
    I am attempting to install the 9.2.0.5 patch on a
    Win2k system, and
    am not meeting with much success.
    Dell PowerEdge 2650
    4 CPUs
    I think that you have 2 CPUs, with Hyperthreading
    enabled. When running Linux, the logical CPUs are
    mapped to the physical CPUs. I do not see anything
    running on cpu0 and cpu2, just cpu1 and cpu3 on my
    RHEL 3.0 ES box when performing maintenance tasks such
    as gathering stats.
    4 Gig RAM
    Windows 2000 Server SP2
    Oracle 9.2.0.3 installed
    Veritas Cluster System 2.0

    When starting setup.exe from 9.2.0.5, the CMD window
    opens and the usual
    routine appears. The window disappears, but OUI
    never starts.
    Being superstitious, I ran the installer from under
    the \install directory in the uncompressed patchset. I
    installed the 10.1 OUI installer into the 9.2 home,
    not into a new home. I then exited and re-ran the 10.1
    OUI from the patchset, not from the newly installed
    location. no issues.
    javaw.exe can be seen running via task manager, but
    it is not taking any
    CPU time.

    Anyone else run into this yet?

    Thanks,

    Jared
    call me next time you hit something like this, I've
    got some play boxes for test cases.

    Paul

    Do you Yahoo!?

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Jared.Still_at_radisys.com at Apr 9, 2004 at 7:20 pm

    I think that you have 2 CPUs, with Hyperthreading
    enabled.
    Nope, 4 physical CPU's.

    System Information report written at: 04/09/2004 05:29:56 PM
    [System Summary]

    Item Value
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 3 Build 2195
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

    System Name SAPTST2
    System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model PowerEdge 2650
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1993 Mhz
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1993 Mhz
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1993 Mhz
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1993 Mhz
    BIOS Version 02/13/03
    Windows Directory C:\WINNT
    System Directory C:\WINNT\System32
    Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
    Locale United States
    User Name SAPHQ\tstadm
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 3,931,632 KB
    Available Physical Memory 3,451,352 KB
    Total Virtual Memory 18,184,444 KB
    Available Virtual Memory 17,359,536 KB
    Page File Space 14,252,812 KB
    Page File D:\pagefile.sys
    Page File Y:\pagefile.sys
    Page File Z:\pagefile.sys
    Being superstitious, I ran the installer from under
    the \install directory in the uncompressed patchset. I
    installed the 10.1 OUI installer into the 9.2 home,
    not into a new home. I then exited and re-ran the 10.1
    OUI from the patchset, not from the newly installed
    location. no issues.
    This is exactly the way I ran it as well.

    Win2k laptop, no problem. Clustered servers, doesn't work.

    I'll try it on a singleton server next week. I'm going home now.

    Jared

    Paul Drake
    04/09/2004 04:54 PM

[...]

  • Frank at Apr 11, 2004 at 6:40 am

[...]

    [snip!]

    If the 10g installer doesn't fix your problem,
    this may be the problem: looks like you are
    logged on via a domain (SAPHQ) as tstadm.
    Try a local administrative account instead;
    e.g. logon at the machine SAPTST, not the
    domain SAPHQ.

    Make sure the user/account is a member of
    the dba group.

    Frank van Bortel

  • Jared Still at Apr 11, 2004 at 11:49 pm
    If the 10g installer doesn't fix your problem,
    this may be the problem: looks like you are
    logged on via a domain (SAPHQ) as tstadm.
    Try a local administrative account instead;
    e.g. logon at the machine SAPTST, not the
    domain SAPHQ.
    Thanks, I can certainly try that. There was
    nothing I saw in the notes that would suggest
    a change in functionality.

    IIRC we've had this discussion here in the past.

    Oracle on all Win32 servers here has always been
    installed via a domain account. Never had a problem
    doing so.

    Jared

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Jared.Still_at_radisys.com at Apr 9, 2004 at 7:21 pm

[...]

  • Niall Litchfield at Apr 13, 2004 at 3:01 am

    Oracle on all Win32 servers here has always been
    installed via a domain account. Never had a problem
    doing so.
    For what its worth the 9205 patch installed here when logged on as a domain=
    account, again this was not a clustered system.=20

    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA
    Audit Commission
    +44 117 975 7805=20

    This email contains information intended for
    the addressee only. It may be confidential
    and may be the subject of legal and/or
    professional privilege. Any dissemination,
    distribution, copyright or use of this
    communication without prior permission of
    the sender is strictly prohibited.

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Jared.Still_at_radisys.com at Apr 14, 2004 at 11:10 am
    When starting setup.exe from 9.2.0.5, the CMD window opens and the usual
    routine appears. The window disappears, but OUI never starts.

    Well, a workaround has been found.

    Support suggested turning off the Terminal Services service, as they had
    seen problems
    installing 9.2.0.5 when it was running.

    Turning it off did not only not fix the problem, it made it worse. If
    terminal services is *not*
    running, I could not kill the javaw.exe process. An 'invalid handle'
    error was encountered.

    Start terminal services back up, and the javaw.exe process could be
    killed.

    I've duplicated this problem on 3 servers.

    Hmm.... It seems there is a connection between OUI 10.1.0.2 and Terminal
    Services.

    So, I started up a terminal services connection, connected to a domain
    account, and
    all worked flawlessly.

    Works from terminal services, does not work on the console.

    After installing OUI 10.1.0.2 in the 9.2 Oracle Home, the same thing holds
    true.

    It will start in a terminal services session, it will not start on the
    console.

    Nice, eh?