Hi All,

We are planning to buy oracle edition to run on a Solaris box ( dual
CPU).

( Its going to be OLTP and the no. of concurrent users will be 10.)

Solaris box configuration:

Sun Fire V240
2x1 GHz Ultraspace IIIi
4x512 MB DIMMS
2x36 GB drives
4x10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

Could somebody suggest the above configuration is fine for 10 concurrent
users. and what oracle edition we can purchase for the above
requirement.

Standard editition and Enterprise edition ? (what are the differences
between these 2 and the price info if you have in US$ )

Thanks in advance,
Srinivas

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Search Discussions

  • Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco at Apr 1, 2004 at 9:12 am
    I use standard edition, the reason to use enterprise is high load of data,
    even if there are ten users.
    If you are going to have tables about 10,000,000 records, standard is OK,
    but if you are going to query permamently tables about 100,000,000 or more
    then you could think in enterprise, it has features advanced to optimized
    high data loads.
    Now if the price is almost the same for you (if you can affor ten licenses
    in enterterprise edition) I would suggest to use that, becaues you will have
    several features enabled, like partitioning, security, etc..

    There is a paper at Oracle comparing features.

    The configuration is enough, but all depends in the amount of data you will
    use.

    Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco
    OCP

    Database 9.2 Standard Edition

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
  • Tanel Põder at Apr 1, 2004 at 10:19 am
    Partitioning is separately licensed option in Oracle EE, so everything
    doesn't come free in EE.
    I'd suggest Standard Edition One if your data amount and concurrent user
    number is going to remain low and you plan to stay on 2 CPUs.

    Tanel.
    Now if the price is almost the same for you (if you can affor ten licenses
    in enterterprise edition) I would suggest to use that, becaues you will have
    several features enabled, like partitioning, security, etc..

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco at Apr 1, 2004 at 11:42 am
    Good point I didn't knew that.

    Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco
    OCP

    Database 9.2 Standard Edition
    Partitioning is separately licensed option in Oracle EE, so everything
    doesn't come free in EE.
    I'd suggest Standard Edition One if your data amount and concurrent user
    number is going to remain low and you plan to stay on 2 CPUs.

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Mladen Gogala at Apr 1, 2004 at 10:24 am