I noticed this book on Oracle replication.

http://tinyurl.com/3fvuj

Has anyone out there in radio land given the book a good enough look to have
an opinion on it. The reason I ask is that I recently returned three books
from Rampant that are the worst books I have ever seen. These were the
first books I have EVER returned. I didn't even sell back my college
textbooks (which now clutter up the place). These Rampant books were
inexcusably, God-awful bad, and I swore that I would own no Rampant books
again. But this title has the name Robert Freeman (but not Robert G.
Freeman) stuck on it, so I have to wonder if the Robert Freeman on this book
is same Robert Freeman we all know and love, and not just some guy with a
convenient name who hangs out at the local Salvation Army when he's not
camped out under a bridge, and if that is enough to cancel out the apparent
innate badness of Rampant.

I also noticed the following book. I didn't know Robert's interests were so
diverse. A book on restoring and recovering a database is fine, but what we
REALLY need is a book on restoring and recovering this group.

http://tinyurl.com/29axd

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Search Discussions

  • Ryan.gaffuri_at_cox.net at Feb 27, 2004 at 8:45 am
    doesnt tim gorman's datawarehouse book have stuff on replication in it? all of his articles are good. So I would figure his book is worth getting.

    the oracle advanced replication document is pretty detailed.
[...]

  • QuijadaReina, Julio C at Feb 27, 2004 at 8:57 am
    Stephen,

    I just happened to find this site that shows the picture of "their"
    Robert Freeman. I am not sure if the book advertised in this site is the
    same 'cause I don't see the horse (in the background;-) I personally
    don't know Robert, but look at the picture and judge by yourselves
    whether the book refers to the well known Oracle DBA Robert Freeman or
    not.
    The link is
    http://www.rampant-books.com/book_2003_2_replication.htm

    Julio Cesar Quijada-Reina
    Programmer Analyst
    Computing Services at Alfred State College

[...]

  • Daniel Fink at Feb 27, 2004 at 9:08 am
    That is the one and only Robert Freeman of the Oracle-L list. I really
    appreciated his 9i New Features book and the time talking at the various
    conferences. His technical knowledge and writing are excellent. I can also
    see him as a Beatle's Historian in his spare time;)

    Daniel Fink

    "QuijadaReina, Julio C" wrote:
    Stephen,

    I just happened to find this site that shows the picture of "their"
    Robert Freeman. I am not sure if the book advertised in this site is the
    same 'cause I don't see the horse (in the background;-) I personally
    don't know Robert, but look at the picture and judge by yourselves
    whether the book refers to the well known Oracle DBA Robert Freeman or
    not.
    The link is
    http://www.rampant-books.com/book_2003_2_replication.htm

    Julio Cesar Quijada-Reina
    Programmer Analyst
    Computing Services at Alfred State College

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Mladen Gogala at Feb 27, 2004 at 9:13 am