In 9i rman I can set the retention policy to whatever I want and delete all
obsolete backups based on that setting.

I cannot find, however, a similar feature for 8i rman. Is there a way to
set this, and if not, how does rman determine what an obsolete backup is?

Thanks,

Rick Stephenson

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Search Discussions

  • Bobak, Mark at Feb 27, 2004 at 12:11 pm
    Rick,

    Check out $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo/rman1.sh for an example.

    -Mark

    In 9i rman I can set the retention policy to whatever I want and delete all obsolete backups based on that setting.

    I cannot find, however, a similar feature for 8i rman. Is there a way to set this, and if not, how does rman determine what an obsolete backup is?

    Thanks,

    Rick Stephenson

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
  • Mercadante, Thomas F at Feb 27, 2004 at 12:17 pm
    Rick,

    Here is how I do it. Run this while connected to the Rman catalog as the
    Rman user. Provide your database name when it asks for it. This script
    will select all backups that are more than 90 days old, and will generate a
    the Rman script to delete those backups from the catalog. You then simply
    run the resulting script thru Rman and the backups get purged. Feel free to
    modify any part of this that you need to - it's not copywrited! Hope this
    helps.

    set heading off
    set feedback off
    set newpage 1
    set pagesize 999
    set linesize 60
    spool Rman_Purge.rcv
    select 'allocate channel for maintenance type ' || '''' || 'SBT_TAPE' ||
    '''' || ';' from dual;
    select 'change backuppiece '||bp.bp_key||' delete;'
    from rc_backup_piece bp,rc_database db
    where db.name = upper('%1')
    and bp.db_id = db.dbid
    and bp.start_time < sysdate-90
    /
    exit

    Tom Mercadante
    Oracle Certified Professional

    In 9i rman I can set the retention policy to whatever I want and delete all
    obsolete backups based on that setting.

    I cannot find, however, a similar feature for 8i rman. Is there a way to
    set this, and if not, how does rman determine what an obsolete backup is?

    Thanks,

    Rick Stephenson

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Rick Stephenson at Feb 27, 2004 at 1:08 pm
    I already read that script, but I don't understand how it knows that I want
    to keep 90 days of retention for my backups. I'm sorry if I am missing
    something.

    Thanks,

    Rick Stephenson

    Check out $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo/rman1.sh for an example.

    -Mark

    In 9i rman I can set the retention policy to whatever I want and delete all
    obsolete backups based on that setting.

    I cannot find, however, a similar feature for 8i rman. Is there a way to
    set this, and if not, how does rman determine what an obsolete backup is?

    Thanks,

    Rick Stephenson

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
  • Ron Rogers at Feb 27, 2004 at 2:12 pm
    Rick,
    I have a space problem so I manually delete the old backups and then
    run the
    CROSSCHECK BACKUP to clean up the catalog
    ===== this is done as as script that I run

    TH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/home/oracle/OraHome1/bin
    export PATH
    ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/OraHome1
    export ORACLE_HOME
    ORACLE_BASE=/home/oracle/OraHome1
    export ORACLE_BASE
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
    ORACLE_SID=lnxdb
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH ORACLE_SID
    TNS_ADMIN=/home/oracle/OraHome1/network/admin
    export TNS_ADMIN
    export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
    echo "Start Backup:" >/xxxxxprd/rman_lev0.log
    echo `date` >> /xxxxxprd/rman_del.log
    /home/oracle/OraHome1/bin/rman <> /xxxxxprd/rman_del.log
    connect target "sys/xxxxx_at_xxxxxprd-tcp"
    connect catalog rman817/rman817_at_xxxxxrman-tcp

    allocate channel for maintenence type disk;
    crosscheck backup;
    release channel;

    allocate channel for maintenence type disk;
    delete expired backup;
    release channel;

    allocate channel for maintenence type disk;
    list backup;
    release channel;

    exit

    Ron
    RStephenson_at_Ovid.com 02/27/2004 2:09:05 PM >>>
    I already read that script, but I don't understand how it knows that I
    want
    to keep 90 days of retention for my backups. I'm sorry if I am
    missing
    something.

    Thanks,

    Rick Stephenson

    Check out $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo/rman1.sh for an example.

    -Mark

    In 9i rman I can set the retention policy to whatever I want and delete
    all
    obsolete backups based on that setting.

    I cannot find, however, a similar feature for 8i rman. Is there a way
    set this, and if not, how does rman determine what an obsolete backup
    is?

    Thanks,

    Rick Stephenson

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Kurth, Michael J. at Feb 27, 2004 at 3:55 pm
    Retention is a new feature in 9I.

    Mike Kurth
    Senior Oracle DBA
    Wheaton Franciscan Services, Inc.