Hello,
I am testing my recovery scenario.
I completed first step of RMAN online backup and incomlete recovery with resetlogs without problems.
But in second step I am in trouble:
- after reseting recovery catalog and switch to next incarnation I am proceeding with RMAN online backup

then I try to recover from these online backups (after incomlete recovery with resetlogs)
restore database is OK
recover database using backup controlfile until change (resetlogs_change#-1) is also OK for all archived logs
alter database open resetlogs reports error ORA-1113 and ORA-1110 - system01.dbf needs data recovery or
ORA-1152 and ORA-1110 - system01.dbf was not recovered from sufficient old backup (sorry -I am translating error messages from Czech)

I know I should do full cold backup after incomlete recovery but there is no way how to recover from online backups?
Or am I missing something?
Thanks
Michal

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Feb 24, 2004 at 11:23 am
    Michal

    I haven't tried what you describe. You may find it beneficial to study
    what Robert Freeman has to say on this subject in his Oracle9i RMAN Backup &
    Recovery book.

    Dennis Williams
    DBA

    Lifetouch, Inc.
    dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

[...]

  • Ruth Gramolini at Feb 25, 2004 at 12:16 pm
    Are you using a catalog? If you are, you can set the incarnation back to
    the original incarnation and restgore and recover until time or until scn.
    If not, you will have to do a manual recovery using the plsql package
    sys.dbma_backup_restore. This package is not really meant for users, so if
    you have support call them and have them help you. If not, let me know and
    I will try to find the paper which explains how to use it. You will have to
    recover the controlfile and datafiles separately. It is a pain, but I have
    done it.

    Good luck,
    Ruth

[...]

  • Mladen Gogala at Feb 25, 2004 at 12:37 pm
    Well, recovery after resetlogs is a complex issue. For one DBID changes
    after resetlogs and you end up with a different database. It would require
    playing around with set dbid=.....
    Common wisdom says that there is no recovery after resetlogs, and that is,
    of course, false, but recovery after resetlogs is something I've been taking
    all precautions against and I've never done it. One doesn't want to perform
    "alter database open resetlogs" automatically unless he or she is 300% certain
    that the operation will succeed. Of course, the first thing to do after resetlogs
    is - backup.
[...]

  • Ruth Gramolini at Feb 25, 2004 at 1:32 pm
    In 9.2.0.4 it is relatively simple to reset the incarnation if you are using
    a recovery catalog. This is one reason I went back to using a recovery
    catalog after taking OWS' advice and going nocatalog at first. They said
    the catalog will be going away, however it still exists therefore there must
    be a reason for using it. I try to avoid the bleeding edge whenever
    possible.

    But even in nocatalog, it can be done. It is just a bit tricky. I have done
    it in 8.0.6.2 and 9.2.0.4 twice: once after advice from OWS on a simple
    question caused my migration database to be completely hosed after we had
    moved the OS to 64 bit and 8.0.6.3 wouldn't run on 64 bit and again when
    someone forgot to put backups to tape when I was out one day and we had to
    will say that the package is not for end users and then send you the paper
    and expect you to do it on your own. I can now!

    OF course, backup after recovery is still the best way to handle things, but
    that is what testing is for. What if you have a crash before you can
    backup?

    Regards,
    Ruth

[...]

  • Mladen Gogala at Feb 25, 2004 at 2:01 pm