Users receiving "unable to launch a dedicated server process. ora-12500 in an Oracle Apps 11i database. Processes were 298 with processes in init.ora of 400. Stopped apache and restarted it and processes decreased. Now connect with no problem. Why are we getting the error when have not reached max processes. Is there a listener limit of some sort.

oracle.exe process was 1.4 G per task manager - well under the 2 G
limit.
Swap space is set to max of 4 G
commit charge peak is 2.4 G
commit charge limit is 5.8 G
We should be well under the limits

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

Search Discussions

  • Powell, Mark D at Feb 18, 2004 at 2:12 pm
    Jeff, just some possibilities to consider

    What is your OS limit? Oracle may have returned an error because the OS was
    unable to create a process for Oracle? Another possibility is the OS user
    limit for Oracle may have been reached. It should be unlimited, but I have
    seen Oracle set up with too low ulimit values (on UNIX systems).

    oracledba_at_lazydba.com; oracle-databases_at_yahoogroups.com;
    oracle-rdbms_at_yahoogroups.com
    Subject: ora-12500 on windows

    Users receiving "unable to launch a dedicated server process. ora-12500 in
    an Oracle Apps 11i database. Processes were 298 with processes in init.ora
    of 400. Stopped apache and restarted it and processes decreased. Now connect
    with no problem. Why are we getting the error when have not reached max
    processes. Is there a listener limit of some sort.

    oracle.exe process was 1.4 G per task manager - well under the 2 G
    limit.
    Swap space is set to max of 4 G
    commit charge peak is 2.4 G
    commit charge limit is 5.8 G
    We should be well under the limits

    Jeffrey Beckstrom
    Database Administrator
    Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
    1240 W. 6th Street
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
  • Tanel Põder at Feb 18, 2004 at 2:17 pm

    oracle.exe process was 1.4 G per task manager - well under the 2 G
    limit.
    I've seen problems starting happen when about 1,5G of mem was allocated to
    oracle.exe... From which task manager column did you check the process size,
    from "mem usage" or from "vm size"?

    Tanel.
    Swap space is set to max of 4 G
    commit charge peak is 2.4 G
    commit charge limit is 5.8 G
    We should be well under the limits

    Jeffrey Beckstrom
    Database Administrator
    Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
    1240 W. 6th Street
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113

  • Bulbultyagi_at_now-india.net.in at Feb 20, 2004 at 1:36 pm
    Tanel, please can you explain the difference between the taskmgr.exe
    columns : 'Mem usage' & 'VM size'.
    Is 'mem usage' => space being used within the ram and 'vm size'=> space
    being used within the pagefile. Or does vm size represent the total of
    memory space (ram +pagefile) allocated to the process .

    oracle.exe process was 1.4 G per task manager - well under the 2 G
    limit.
    I've seen problems starting happen when about 1,5G of mem was allocated to
    oracle.exe... From which task manager column did you check the process size,
    from "mem usage" or from "vm size"?

    Tanel.
    Swap space is set to max of 4 G
    commit charge peak is 2.4 G
    commit charge limit is 5.8 G
    We should be well under the limits

    Jeffrey Beckstrom
    Database Administrator
    Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
    1240 W. 6th Street
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113

  • Jeffrey Beckstrom at Feb 18, 2004 at 2:18 pm
    I figure it is an OS limit but what... This is W2K. Looks like process size has not reached 2 G, overall memory has not reached max.
    mark.powell_at_eds.com 2/18/04 9:12:50 AM >>>
[...]

  • Jeffrey Beckstrom at Feb 18, 2004 at 2:27 pm
    mem usage

    I would suspect they should be close to each other since currently mem usage is 1.1 g and vm size is 1.2 g.
    tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee 2/18/04 9:17:39 AM >>>
    oracle.exe process was 1.4 G per task manager - well under the 2 G
    limit.
    I've seen problems starting happen when about 1,5G of mem was allocated to
    oracle.exe... From which task manager column did you check the process size,
    from "mem usage" or from "vm size"?

    Tanel.
    Swap space is set to max of 4 G
    commit charge peak is 2.4 G
    commit charge limit is 5.8 G
    We should be well under the limits

    Jeffrey Beckstrom
    Database Administrator
    Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
    1240 W. 6th Street
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113

  • Paul Drake at Feb 18, 2004 at 4:11 pm

    Jeffrey Beckstrom wrote:
    mem usage
    familiar territory.

    on win32, the process memory limit is between 1.7 and
    1.8 GB of virtual memory. what version of operating
    system is the server running?

    if it is w2k server, you're stuck. you must reduce
    either the SGA or PGA memory allocations in order to
    stay under the process limit.
    if it is w2k advanced server, you can enable large
    memory support, and carry up to a 3*10E9 (convert to
    power of 2) memory allocated to a process.

    if is is w2k3 server, you can enable large memory
    support.
    certain versions of Oracle on win32 support large
    memory, and some don't.
    9.2.0.4 does.
    8.1.7.3 and 8.1.7.4 do not.

    to reduce memory allocations, you might:
    - check v$sgastat for free memory, and reduce the size
    of the shared, large and java pools.
    - reduce the buffer cache
    - reduce sort_area_size, hash_area_size

    hth.

    Pd
[...]

    Do you Yahoo!?
    http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

  • Jeffrey Beckstrom at Feb 18, 2004 at 5:54 pm
    we are w2k AS. Do you know the metalink note for large memory support?
    discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com 2/18/04 11:11:20 AM >>>
[...]

  • Koivu, Lisa at Feb 18, 2004 at 6:12 pm
    Hello Jeffrey,=20

    I'm feeling your pain, like you wouldn't believe.=20

    I think it's note 225349.1

    My problem that is resulting in ora-12500's is many, many connections
    being fired at one time. Informatica fires in the neighborhood of 300
    connections all at the same time, the exact same second. I have tried
    adding multiple listeners, adding the QUEUESIZE parameter, all to no
    avail. I had to reduce the sga size to stop the errors. =20

    To make this more interesting, I am guaranteed that in the future there
    will be several hundred more concurrent connections added to what I'm
    dealing with now. =20

    Can anyone comment - can MTS help in my situation? I've never used it.

    Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

    Lisa Monkey
    Orlando, FL, USA=20

[...]

    =20
[...]

    http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools=20

    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com=20

    To unsubscribe send email to: oracle-l-request_at_freelists.org=20
    put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

    "The sender believes that this E-Mail and any attachments were free of =
    any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This =
    message and its attachments could have been infected during =
    transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the =
    recipient accepts full responsibility for taking proactive and remedial =
    action about viruses and other defects. The sender's business entity is =
    not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this message =
    or its attachments."

  • Mladen Gogala at Feb 18, 2004 at 6:25 pm