----- ------- Original Message ------- -----
From: Jose Luis Delgado

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Sent: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:09:27

Hmmmmmm...

I'd like to know where in the manuals... :-)

I do not think so since the standby database stay
in
permanent recovery mode.

JL

--- Rachel Carmichael
wrote:
yes. Well documented in the manuals

--- Juan Miranda wrote:

Hi

It is posible to create other schemas on a
logical
stand by database
?

I mean, schemas that don?t exist in the primary database.
--
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
http://www.orafaq.net
Author: Juan Miranda
INET: j.miranda_at_sermatica.es
Author: Stephane Faroult
INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com

  • Walt Weaver at Nov 12, 2003 at 5:19 pm
    Stephane,

    What sort of problems can one expect from logical standby?

    I'm toying with the idea of using it as a replication database -- no
    additional schema objects will be created, but users will have read-only
    access to it. It's one of the options I'm looking at.

    Seems to me like there was a thread on this a few months ago, but I'm
    not sure...

    --Walt
    What you say refers to the physical standby database (which works well),
    not to the logical standby database (which on the paper looks great, allows you to open the database, create additional tablespaces, create additional indexes on replicated objects etc) but which in practice still has a lot of teething troubles. Wouldn't use it in production on Oracle 9.2.

    HTH,
    SF

    Author: Juan Miranda
    INET: j.miranda_at_sermatica.es
    Author: Walt Weaver
    INET: wweaver_at_rightnow.com

  • Rachel Carmichael at Nov 12, 2003 at 5:44 pm
    there was a thread -- Paul Baumgartel started it looking for
    information on logical standby.

    IIRC, he found that there were a few "gotchas" -- check the fatcity
    archives.

    I do know that since it's based on Logminer technology, it has the same
    limitations that Logminer does

    Author: Juan Miranda
    INET: j.miranda_at_sermatica.es
    Author: Walt Weaver
    INET: wweaver_at_rightnow.com

    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

    Author: Rachel Carmichael
    INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  • Carel-Jan Engel at Nov 12, 2003 at 5:44 pm
    Hi all,

    As Stephane told, logical standby (LSB) has a lot of tiny little exceptions
    and special issues to cope with. I've done one implementation in production
    until now (did appr. 20 Physical Standby sites as well).

    But, even that site uses 2 LSB's as reporting systems, and has a PSB for
    the HA issue.

    Feel free to ask more.

    Regards, Carel-Jan

    Author: Juan Miranda
    INET: j.miranda_at_sermatica.es
    Author: Stephane Faroult
    INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com

    DBA!ert, Independent Oracle Consultancy
    Kastanjelaan 61C
    2743 BX Waddinxveen
    The Netherlands

    tel. +31 (0) 182 640 428
    fax +31 (0) 182 640 429
    mobile +31 (0) 653 911 950

    e-mail info.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl

    Author: Carel-Jan Engel
    INET: cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl

  • Paul Baumgartel at Nov 12, 2003 at 6:49 pm
    Walt,

    I'll step in here--my experiment with Logical Standby convinced me that
    it is not ready for prime time.

    Major bugs caused apply process to crash repeatedly.
    Difficulty filtering out DDL from apply stream.
    Horrendous performance of apply process--frequently the elapsed
    time to apply changes on the standby was one or two orders of magnitude
    greater than that of the source operation.

    Walt Weaver wrote:
    Stephane,

    What sort of problems can one expect from logical standby?

    I'm toying with the idea of using it as a replication database -- no
    additional schema objects will be created, but users will have
    read-only
    access to it. It's one of the options I'm looking at.

    Seems to me like there was a thread on this a few months ago, but I'm
    not sure...
    Do you Yahoo!?
    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

    Author: Paul Baumgartel
    INET: treegarden_at_yahoo.com

  • Carel-Jan Engel at Nov 12, 2003 at 6:59 pm
    Walt, drop me your email-address, and I send you the handouts of a special
    I presented about DG for Oracle University in Stockholm.

    I'm going out now for a few hours (it's 19.30 over here), but I'll respond
    later this evening.

    regards, Carel-Jan

    Author: Juan Miranda
    INET: j.miranda_at_sermatica.es
    Author: Walt Weaver

    Author: Carel-Jan Engel
    INET: cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl

  • Juan Miranda at Nov 13, 2003 at 8:34 am
    I am just planning a LOGICAL data guard installation in an important client.
    They need it for reporting and backup (primary is 24x7x365 and we have hot
    backup.)

    I didn?t kwon that LSB are so bad.

    So do you think It is so bad that you don?t put it into production ???

    Do you try 9.2.0.4 ??

    I need to take a decision....

    I thank your previous answers.
    (I read doc, of course, but It is not explicity say that)

    Author: Juan Miranda
    INET: j.miranda_at_sermatica.es
    Author: Walt Weaver

    Author: Juan Miranda
    INET: j.miranda_at_sermatica.es

  • Stephane Faroult at Nov 13, 2003 at 9:39 am
    I tried it on 9.2.0.3.0 running on two Linux machines. I doubt all bugs were fixed in 9.2.0.4. I currently consider LSB to be a prototype, an interesting foretaste of things to come, but hardly more.
    It of course depends on the size of the database, but couldn't you consider doing reporting on a Day - 1 database?
    Might be simpler to use your hot backups and recreate a backup database every night. Or perhaps use snaphots (sorry, materialized views) - traditional replication (you don't need the 'advanced' stuff). If the production database can bear the overhead.
    Anyway, if you are as lucky as I was, this is (rebuilding the database from your backups) what you may well end doing with LSB (plus the 26 step process each time - well, I wrote scripts to help).

    HTH,

    SF

    Author: Juan Miranda
    INET: j.miranda_at_sermatica.es
    Author: Stephane Faroult
    INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com

  • Carel-Jan Engel at Nov 13, 2003 at 9:49 am
    Hi Juan,

    It is not the patch level that makes it unusable for standby. It's the
    complexity, limitations and elaborous management tasks that cause the
    problem. One single unsupported DML command can stop/suspend the SQL-Apply
    process at the standby, and you have to circumvent the problem manually
    before you can resume.
    That's something you definitely don't want in a standby environment. At the
    other end, when everything has been tested, tested, and tested, your users
    have no SQL*Plus/Toad/ODBC/whatever SQL-tool access to the primary
    database, you have reliable DBA's;-), it can run pretty well, and it can
    be used for reporting purposes.

    Note that redolog forwarding doesn't mean SQL Apply. Let me clarify this.
    When running in Guaranteed protection mode, all (online) redolog
    information gets forwarded to the standby. This is done synchronously, so
    it is guaranteed that every transaction arrives at the standby when it's
    written in the redolog on the primary. The same applies to the other
    protegction modes, but some data divergence may be the result. But. After a
    logswitch and not earlier, logmining will start, and the SQL Apply process
    will start processing the transactions. This is called serialisation, and
    doesn't really scale!

    PSB remains in recovery mode, that uses less resources, and kan keep up
    pretty well on the sites I've installed it so far (right, Yong?;-) ).

    What do you want to achieve with LSB? Off-line reporting facilities on
    actual data? How actual do you need them? When a daily refresh is enough
    consider this plan:
    Create a PSB, and keep it in Read-only mode. All redolog gets forwarded
    whatsoever, even in Read Only mode. Once, twice a day you switch the PSB to
    Recovery mode, wait until the waiting redologs have been applied, and
    switch back to Read Only mode. Has some limitations, not usable for all
    demands for offline reporting, but on the other hand, you know what your
    report is based on. Many DWH applications don't even want to have their
    data updated real-time, simply because succeeding reports will be
    uncomparable because variations in the daily workflow can affect the results.

    Another plan might be creating both an LSB and a PSB (can be done on a
    single machine when the size of your database allows you), and use the LSB
    for reporting, and the PSB for failover. I would strongly recommend not to
    use LSB for failover purposes. The techniques simply aren't mature enough.
    I hope 10g is better, can't wait to get a copy to investigate DG in 10g.
    I've developed some scripts, 900+ lines for (hot) instantiation, and twice
    as much for database control. Together with some (still undocumented)
    naming conventions, they make life pretty easy for the command-line
    oriented DBA. However, they're not finished yet (what script is?), and not
    completely bug-free. And, they're Korn-shll scripts, so not usable on
    Windoze.

    Regards, Carel-Jan

    There will allways be another last 10 bugs. --

    Author: Juan Miranda
    INET: j.miranda_at_sermatica.es
    Author: Walt Weaver

    Author: Carel-Jan Engel
    INET: cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl

  • Muqthar Ahmed at Nov 13, 2003 at 2:59 pm
    Juan,

    I am using Physical Standby Database for Disaster Recovery situation and also for REPORTS. I apply logs everyday in the morning and bring it up in READ ONLY mode. Developers can SELECT latest data from STANDBY database. I have created a DATABASE LINK for STANDBY database from X database. Now you can create REPORTS in X database by SELECTING data from STANDBY database. Less maintenance, reliable and good performance.

    The only disadvantage is STANDBY database is one day behind.

    Muqthar Ahmed
    DBA

    http://www.orafaq.net <http://www.orafaq.net/>
    Author: Juan Miranda
    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net <http://www.orafaq.net/>
    Author: Walt Weaver
    INET: wweaver_at_rightnow.com

    Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com <http://www.fatcity.com/>

    Author: Muqthar Ahmed
    INET: Muqthar.Ahmed_at_decoratetoday.com