Read operation from even one-ROW table will benefit from index -> if you index all necessary columns. A full table scan reads segment header and the datablock. Index scan requires only one read of leaf block in case of one-block index.

Also, you may get other benefits, if you have unique index or constraint on the table, Oracle won't search for more rows once first one is retrieved - and in join condition these one-row row sources can be put first in join order, helping in performance.

Tanel.

Original Message -----
From: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 12:09 AM
Subject: RE: 9i on RHAS3

If the question is 'Should I use an index with a small table, even \
one that fits in a single block", then the answer is very possibly "yes".

Best to test with your SQL, but for simple selects the use of an
index makes the SQL much more scalable.

Search the archives on 'run_stats', as that was the name of a
script used to compare indexed vs. non-indexed.

Jared

"Jesse, Rich"
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
10/31/2003 01:09 PM