rjesse_at_qtiworld.com Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  • Mladen Gogala at Oct 31, 2003 at 5:24 pm
    Rich, I don't have AS 3.0, I'm using regular RH 9 and RH 8 based worsktations, with gcc 3.2
    (gcc-gnat-3.2.2-5,gcc-3.2.2-5) and curiously enough, the installation worked right out of
    the box, with a quirk with linking context ("undefined symbol"), but I was able to ignore the
    error and proceed. Oracle works well, no complaints so far. There is a thing that confuses me,
    but it's generic. I tried on a Solaris8 box and the result was the same (9.2.0.4). Here is
    what confuses me. Here are two execution plans, for the same query (autotrace on explain, timing on).
    More expensive plan takes less time. Shouldn't it be the other way round?
    Elapsed: 00:00:00.00

    Execution Plan

    0 SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=ALL_ROWS (Cost=7 Card=14 Bytes=77
    0)

    1 0 NESTED LOOPS (Cost=7 Card=14 Bytes=770)
    2 1 TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'CP_ACTIONS' (Cost=2 Ca
    rd=14 Bytes=588)

    3 2 INDEX (RANGE SCAN) OF 'CP_ACTIONS_EFF_I' (NON-UNIQUE)
    (Cost=2 Card=14)

    4 1 TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'CHG_TKR' (Cost=2 Card=
    1 Bytes=13)

    5 4 INDEX (UNIQUE SCAN) OF 'SYS_C004800' (UNIQUE) (Cost=1
    Card=1)

    Elapsed: 00:00:00.01

    Execution Plan

    0 SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=ALL_ROWS (Cost=6 Card=14 Bytes=77
    0)

    1 0 HASH JOIN (Cost=6 Card=14 Bytes=770)
    2 1 TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'CP_ACTIONS' (Cost=2 Ca
    rd=14 Bytes=588)

    3 2 INDEX (RANGE SCAN) OF 'CP_ACTIONS_EFF_I' (NON-UNIQUE)
    (Cost=2 Card=14)

    4 1 TABLE ACCESS (FULL) OF 'CHG_TKR' (Cost=4 Card=1602 Bytes
    =20826)
    Has anyone tried 9i on RHAS3 yet? Metalink 252217.1 and the venerable
    Werner Puschitz's site http://www.puschitz.com have many icky hacks that
    seem to have to be done, including temporarily dropping gcc323 to the highly
    unstable and buggy v2.96 (even GNU says not to use it! -- it's not even
    listed as a release on their website).

    I'm guessing that Mr. Puschitz isn't on this list? Looks like he knows the
    Oracle install on RedHat quite well.

    How's about it, Mladen? I'm not willing to scrap my Gentoo box to test it.
    :)

    Rich

    Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
    rjesse_at_qtiworld.com Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA
    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

    Mladen Gogala
    Oracle DBA

    Note:
    This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
    Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

    Author: Mladen Gogala
    INET: mladen_at_wangtrading.com

  • Jesse, Rich at Oct 31, 2003 at 9:09 pm
    Wasn't there a whitepaper somewhere that said that it may be more efficient
    to use an index with NL, even if the entire table fits in a single block? A
    quick scan of my saved ORACLE-L messages didn't reveal anything.

    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  • Jared.Still_at_radisys.com at Oct 31, 2003 at 10:09 pm
    If the question is 'Should I use an index with a small table, even \
    one that fits in a single block", then the answer is very possibly "yes".

    Best to test with your SQL, but for simple selects the use of an
    index makes the SQL much more scalable.

    Search the archives on 'run_stats', as that was the name of a
    script used to compare indexed vs. non-indexed.

    Jared

    "Jesse, Rich"
    Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
    10/31/2003 01:09 PM