Mitchell
Author: Mitchell
INET: mitchell.lee_at_rogers.com

  • Paul Drake at Oct 27, 2003 at 10:39 pm
    Mitchell,

    It would be most helpful if you supplied the Oracle Server version info.

    You may have simply had legitimately 190 users connected.
    You may have a problem with sessions being disconnected by the client that are not being terminated properly. It is a known issue that support for dead connection detection on win32 is non-existent, hence improperly terminated sessions can hang around for quite awhile.

    You do not have to explicitly set any OS parameters in hiking up the number of processes in the init.ora. Depending upon your oracle server version (which again, is unknown here) you might want to change either the number of rollback segments or the number of transactions/segment.

    hth.

    Pd

    Mitchell wrote:
    DBAs

    Our database running on NT 2000 is over 200 processes today and I had to
    reset to a hight No. As I know, if I set highter for this parameter, the
    will be impact on Unix system, I wonder there is any impact on windows.

    thanks in advance
    Mitchell
    Author: Mitchell
    INET: mitchell.lee_at_rogers.com

    Do you Yahoo!?
    Author: Paul Drake
    INET: discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com

  • Mitchell at Oct 27, 2003 at 11:09 pm
    Thanks Pd for your answered. The Os is window 2000 and Oracle 8.1.6.0.0.
    I run the query v$resource_limit after I reset processes No to 250. and
    saw the No. is up and stable to 110 process. I will keep monitor it and
    make sure all session disconnected.

    I wonder if processes is set to higher, any impact to memory or resource
    usage?

    Author: Mitchell
    INET: mitchell.lee_at_rogers.com

    (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You mayalso
    send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

    Do you Yahoo!?
    Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney
    <http://launch.yahoo.com/video/?1093432&fs=1&redirectURL=http://launch.y
    ahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/> Spears

    Author: Mitchell
    INET: mitchell.lee_at_rogers.com

  • Paul Drake at Oct 28, 2003 at 12:04 am
    Mitchell,

    Oracle 8.1.6.0.0.

    that is not good news. Depending upon how important the data and use of the data in this particular database is, you might want to plan on upgrading it in the immediate future, near future (or never - it might not be your problem). If you have an issue and would require support via Metalink - the first thing that they'd likely mention is that the software is de-supported (too long ago for me to remember).

    I'd recommend that you test an upgrade to 8.1.7.0.0, with the patchsets 8.1.7.4.1 and 8.1.7.4.12 applied.

    There exist multiple security flaws in the software that you are running.
    You might as well be running W2K Server (with no service packs or hotfixes) - almost.

    I don't want to say it, but I would guess that you have not applied patchsets to an Oracle database before, have not upgraded/migrated an Oracle database before and that it is likely that your backup strategy has not been tested and is likely not as bulletproof as it might need to be, with an upgrade/migration facing you.

    I'd recommend that you contract with a 3rd party to get your system into a supportable configuration immediately, and to train you on administration practices, starting with backup and recovery and then moving onto upgrading/migration.

    If you're getting enough usage that you have close to 200 sessions running, this leads me to believe that this is a production system, whose users would not like it if the system or the data was no longer available.

    If this is not a *real* system, please ignore my comments above. It was just a hunch, but 8.1.6.0.0 tells me that this database has not been maintained properly.

    good luck.

    Pd

    Author: Mitchell
    INET: mitchell.lee_at_rogers.com