Hi all,

I need to move some sql server tables to oracle.

Do you have some ideas how to do it. I have no idea ...

rgds

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Gunnar=20Berglund?=
INET: oracledbasweden_at_yahoo.co.uk

  • Peter Gram at Sep 18, 2003 at 8:34 am
    Hi Gunner

    You can push data from the sql server via DTS (Data transformation
    services) or
    pull the data from the Oracale database via (Heterogeneous services)

    Gunnar Berglund wrote:
    Hi all,

    I need to move some sql server tables to oracle.

    Do you have some ideas how to do it. I have no idea ...

    rgds
    Want to chat instantly with your online friends? *Get the FREE Yahoo!
    Messenger*
    <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/>
    --
    Peter Gram, Miracle A/S
    Phone : +45 2527 7107, Fax : +45 4466 8856, Home +45 3874 5696

    Upcoming events:
    DatabaseForum 2003, Lalandia 2-4 October
    Visit http://miracleas.dk/events/DBF2003/invitation.html

    Miracle Master Class with Tom Kyte, 12-14 January 2004

    The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
    software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
    for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
    removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
    you by private E-mail.

    This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
    attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
    about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.

    --------------ms030803070300030108010405--

    Author: Peter Gram
    INET: peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk

    application/x-pkcs7-signature attachment: smime.p7s
  • Farnsworth, Dave at Sep 18, 2003 at 8:39 am
    You can always use the SQL Server DTS package to do this.

    Dave

    Want to chat instantly with your online friends? <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/> Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger

    Author: Farnsworth, Dave
    INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

  • Jared Still at Sep 18, 2003 at 7:59 pm
    If you are familiar with Perl and DBI, you can pre-create
    the tables in Oracle, open a connection to both the MS
    and Oracle databases, select from MS, insert to Oracle.

    Do it all in one step, it's pretty straightforward.

    Jared
    I need to move some sql server tables to oracle.

    Do you have some ideas how to do it. I have no idea ...

    rgds

    ---------------------------------
    Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo!Messenger
    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

  • KENNETH JANUSZ at Sep 18, 2003 at 8:39 pm
    That will work as long as they are sets of tables are the same layout. If
    not, then you have to map from SQL Server to Oracle which could be a complex
    time consuming task. Then the best bet is to generate delimited flat files
    from SQL Server and use SQL*Loader to load them into Oracle. For this I
    recommend the book: SQL*Loader, The definitive Guide by Gennick & Mishra.

    Sorry to say it SQL*Loader uses SQL*Plus, not Perl.

    My $0.02 worth,

    Ken Janusz, CPIM

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

    Author: KENNETH JANUSZ
    INET: kjanusz_at_att.net

  • Jared Still at Sep 18, 2003 at 9:44 pm
    The rather terse initial post says "move some sql server tables to
    oracle".

    No mention of changing design.

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

    Author: KENNETH JANUSZ
    INET: kjanusz_at_att.net

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

  • Avnish.Rastogi_at_providence.org at Sep 18, 2003 at 10:09 pm
    You can try to create Oracle linked server in sql server and you should be able insert from SQL Server to Oracle. I used this approach to get data from DB2 to SQL Server.

    I need to move some sql server tables to oracle.

    Do you have some ideas how to do it. I have no idea ...

    rgds

    Want to chat instantly with your online friends? <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/> Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger

    DISCLAIMER:

    This message is intended for the sole use of the individual to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete this message.

    Author:
  • Igor Neyman at Sep 18, 2003 at 10:19 pm
    Ken,

    Could you please elaborate on how SQL*Loader uses SQL*Plus?

    Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
    ineyman_at_perceptron.com

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

    Author: KENNETH JANUSZ
    INET: kjanusz_at_att.net

    Author: Igor Neyman
    INET: ineyman_at_perceptron.com

  • Tanel Poder at Sep 18, 2003 at 11:19 pm
    No it doesn't, sqlldr probably uses OCI... or in some cases maybe even
    lower-level layer, UPI (user program interface).

    Tanel.

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

    Author: KENNETH JANUSZ
    INET: kjanusz_at_att.net

    Author: Igor Neyman
    INET: ineyman_at_perceptron.com

    Author: Tanel Poder
    INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee

  • David.Schmoldt_at_gazettecommunications.com at Sep 19, 2003 at 12:24 am
    Look into Oracle's Migration Workbench utility. It's a free download from
    OTN.

    It can move tables, table data, indexes, constraints, etc. Also converts
    data types if needed.

    I've used it to move Acess databases to Oracle and it works pretty well. I
    believe they have a SQL Server module as well.

    Dave

    I need to move some sql server tables to oracle.

    Do you have some ideas how to do it. I have no idea ...

    rgds

    Want to chat instantly with your online friends?
    <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.co
    m/> Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger

    INET: David.Schmoldt_at_gazettecommunications.com

  • Igor Neyman at Sep 19, 2003 at 2:29 pm
    Yeah, that's what I thought, though I'm not familiar with UPI.
    Sorry, question was kind of "tongue in cheek" -:)

    Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
    ineyman_at_perceptron.com

    Author: Jared Still
    INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

    San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting
    services

    Author: KENNETH JANUSZ
    INET: kjanusz_at_att.net

    Author: Igor Neyman