Hi list

Some people where interested in feedback regarding the usage of OpenLDAP
instead of OID or Names to resolve TNS strings.
Seems to work;). Here is what to do:

Prerequisite: I used openldap-2.0.23 instead of 2.1, since I had to use
CygWin to test it locally on my laptop.

Bill of materials:

CygWin http://www.cygwin.com, I used the latest version, 1.5.2-1test

Oracle Client, version >= 8.1.6.x

OID LDIFS, can be taken from $ORACLE_HOME/ldap/admin, if the OID option is
installed, or from
Oracle Disks:
Disk3\stage\Components\oracle.oid.server\9.2.0.1.0\1\DataFiles\admin.1.1.jar

HowTo: http://home.nc.rr.com/jtlayton/oid2openldap.html

Simply follow the howto to get openldap running and include the OID schemas.

Then, create an ldap.ora under $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, which looks like
this:

DIRECTORY_SERVERS=localhost:389
DIRECTORY_SERVER_TYPE=oid
DEFAULT_ADMIN_CONTEXT="cn=Manager,dc=world"

... and change sqlnet.ora to contain:

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (LDAP)

Finished, enjoy.
Stefan

Stefan Jahnke
Consultant
BOV Aktiengesellschaft
Tel.: +49 201/45 13-289
mailto:stefan.jahnke_at_nospam.bov.de
http://www.bov.de
Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter: http://www.bov.de/enews

Kosten senken - strategische IT-Ziele erreichen! BOV Microsoft Day am
24.07.03 in Essen. Anmeldung unter http://www.bov.de/microsoft-day oder
mailto:andrea.palluck_at_bov.de.

Wie Sie wissen, koennen ueber das Internet versandte E-Mails leicht unter
fremden Namen erstellt oder manipuliert werden. Aus diesem Grunde bitten wir
um Verstaendnis dafuer, dass wir zu Ihrem und unserem Schutz die rechtliche
Verbindlichkeit der vorstehenden Erklaerungen und Aeusserungen
ausschliessen.

As you are probably aware, e-mails sent via the Internet can easily be
copied or manipulated by third parties. For this reason we would ask for
your understanding that, for your own protection and ours, we must decline
all legal responsibility for the validity of the statements and comments
given above.

Author: Stefan Jahnke
INET: Stefan.Jahnke_at_bov.de

  • DENNIS WILLIAMS at Aug 19, 2003 at 3:29 am
    Congratulations Stefan!

    Thanks for posting this.
    Do you (or anyone else) have any ideas for doing this with Micro$oft Active
    Directory?

    Dennis Williams
    DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA

    Lifetouch, Inc.